Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

Ms. Heald: The Woman, The Myth, The Legend

Serving over 2,200 hundred students, Catharine Heald is rarely bored in her position as College and Career Advisor at B-CC High School. She is the face of calm to over 800 seniors ready to take the next step in the world. Her motto is: “Give me your stress.”
Ms. Heald in her office, where she serves as College and Career Advisor at B-CC HS.
Noah Light

In her role, Ms. Heald provides “guidance for what to do after high school, including gap years, jobs, and college.” Her days are packed with planning sessions for colleges to visit B-CC so students can learn more about various schools, along with countless meetings with students to guide them toward their desired future. Ms. Heald said, “[the work I do] both helps students with their struggles in the college application process and takes their stress away.” 

The college application process is undoubtedly one of the most challenging aspects of senior year. Ms. Heald wants students to be more relaxed throughout the process. She offers the following tips to students to alleviate stress and make the process more manageable:

1. Start the application process early, ideally the summer before senior year. Get the common application done as soon as it opens.
  2. Assess your situation, and get your priorities straight when searching for what schools you’d like to go to.
  3. Look at the smaller schools that aren’t listed as America’s top schools as they will be easier to get into and have more scholarship opportunities.
  4. Break the steps involved in the process down to smaller parts.” “Try not to look at the big picture or else it will seem too overwhelming.

Ms. Heald said seniors should, “Make time for fun things, because it’s better for you.”

With a background in business and marketing, Ms. Heald sought out work in schools after having her daughter. She said, “I believe strongly in the future of our youth and absolutely love what I do.” Ms. Heald said that she “takes tremendous pride in helping students figure their post-high school life out and loves the satisfaction that comes with it.” 

In the end, Ms. Heald acknowledges that “your counselor and teachers,” can help make the process easier, she is “an excellent resource for everyone in the school.” Many seniors had applications due on Oct. 15 and are busy preparing applications for the Nov. 1 deadline. She encourages students to “use her as a resource as much as they can.”

View Comments (2)