B-CC Welcomes International Handball Star

Luana Turcco, a sophomore exchange student at B-CC, played for H10, a Handball team that played in Brazilian professional leagues in the 16-year-old category, before coming to the United States.
Luana Turcco in action
Courtesey of Luana Turcco
Luana Turcco in action

Handball, a team sport in which two teams of typically seven players use their hands to pass a ball and aim to throw it into the goal on the opposite side, is a well-known sport in Brazil. Luana Turcco, a sophomore exchange student at B-CC, played for H10, a Handball team that played in Brazilian professional leagues in the 16-year-old category, before coming to the United States. Brazil dominates the sport in the Americas and has created quite a name for itself internationally.

Turcco’s journey started in the sun-kissed streets of São Paulo, where she began handball at 8-years-old. The desire to play for a team that represents one’s country stems from great pride and isn’t just about wearing a country’s jersey. “When I was a kid I never thought I would play professionally, so having achieved this, representing my country in international championships and having so many experiences and opportunities to visit places and meet people, was certainly very good,” Turcco stated. 

Turcco navigated the competitive world of international handball at a young age with ease. She said, “Honestly I liked the girls so much and felt so welcomed that I didn’t feel much pressure to do well. I started playing handball when I was 8, so it’s always been my comfort sport, being on the court doing what I love with people I like.”

Moving to a new country always comes with its challenges, but having to leave behind a team that feels like family made Turcco’s move all the more challenging. “Actually, it was really sad to leave. I suffered a lot, because I really enjoyed it. I don’t know if I’m going to join the team again, at least not the same one. I tried to find someplace here to continue training, but I couldn’t find one. So, I don’t know if I can go back and continue playing if the girls have evolved a lot,” she said.

Turcco plans on continuing her passion for handball when she goes back to Brazil and stated, “…I’m definitely going to want to play again, at least on the school team.” While Turcco may have been forced to leave her team and sport behind, it has never left her.