Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

Water Bottle Basics

Out of eight people surveyed, five use a metal reusable water bottle, two use plastic non reusable bottles, and one doesn’t use a water bottle at all. 
There are almost too many options to choose from
Ali Hellerman

Water is an essential element of life and, due to it being a liquid, it needs to be stored in a bottle. There are a wide range of water bottles from non-reusable plastic to reusable metal, but what type of water bottles do the B-CC population use? Which one should students choose? 

There are a variety of factors to consider when one selects a water bottle. Concerned about looks? Sustainability? Affordability? Convenience? Temperature-holding ability? What about volume? Is a reusable water bottle worth the hassle in the first place? 

Google Spreadsheets

Junior Belky Cedillo solely uses non reusable plastic water bottles. “I think it’s very convenient, I just pick it up, put two in my backpack, and then I just carry them around. I don’t have to refill them or anything,” she said. 

Junior Alok Harrison gets chocolate milk from the cafeteria every day instead of bringing a water bottle. He said, “It’s how I improve my bone strength, with calcium.” 

But what about those concerned about the environmental consequences of using non reusable plastic bottles? Many contain microplastics that end up in waterways and sometimes, due to improper disposal, the entire single use bottle drifts along rivers into larger bodies of water such as the ocean. Plastic reusable water bottles can be more affordable, take less energy to produce, and be easier to carry around, but over time BPA, a toxic chemical in plastic that can leach into water, can lead to adverse health effects. 

One option is drinking out of the water fountain. When asked why he doesn’t bring a water bottle to school, Junior Ian Robins said, “because I’m too lazy.” 

Though water fountains can be useful, sometimes thirst happens in the middle of class and it is not possible to take away class time to visit the water fountain. This is the reason why many people select to bring in a reusable water bottle. They want to reliably have their drink with them (usually water) at all times and not have to worry about the next time they can get hydrated. 

Metal water bottles are a popular option and have many options on the market for size, color, aesthetic, and temperature maintenance.  Sophomores Lily Blackman and Kari Manzo use metal water bottles for their color and sustainability.  Senior Brithany Buenano said her Camelbak “keeps water warm and cold, and it has a little hook so I can carry it.” Senior Madison Bicking also has a reusable metal water bottle, a Hydrapeak,”because it keeps my drink cold all day.” Freshman Duc Hoang Hain Nguyen has a Hydro Flask, “because it can keep temperature really well…it also has a large volume so I can bring a lot of water.” However, buying a metal water bottle requires a commitment to use it multiple times in order for it to be environmentally friendly, due to the energy it takes to get the material (typically stainless steel) and produce it, as well as the fossil fuels it utilizes to create said energy. 

Out of eight people surveyed, five use a metal reusable water bottle, two use plastic non reusable bottles, and one simply doesn’t use a water bottle at all. 

Google Spreadsheets

No matter what water bottle (or no water bottle) students choose, it is always important to stay hydrated during school to prevent headaches and stay focused in class rather than being preoccupied by thirst.