John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC Class of 2024 College Decisions page since you checked last night.
Emily Atrokhov

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC Class of 2024 College Decisions page since you checked last night. However, this isn’t unusual as in the last few months your Instagram has been swarming with posts from this page alone. You put your phone down and sigh as you still bear with the fact that you’re stuck between deciding where you want to spend the next four years of your life, and are envious of your peers who know where they are going in the fall. This scene may look familiar for plenty of B-CC seniors who have many difficult decisions to make before May 1st quickly comes around. 

As one approaches the spring semester of their senior year, it is not unusual to experience an increased amount of anxiety and impatience surrounding college decisions. However, seeing college acceptances and decisions from outside peers through Instagram may create an unhealthy environment for some students. B-CC Senior Paolo Mantassas had much to say regarding the social media aspect of college decisions. “Social media forces a comparison that constantly makes me feel inadequate, and I feel a pressure to decide quicker when I see these posts flooding in but in reality, I have no idea where I want to go,” commented Mantassas. 

This increased pressure to post and decide one’s next steps in life only creates toxic habits and a loss of self-respect as students begin to feel behind compared to their peers and question their talents and capabilities. Mantassas added, “I feel like I should be excited to decide like everyone else, but I just don’t.” The stressful decisions seniors face during this time period should never cause regrets of any sort, let alone uncertainty about their abilities and what they have going for them in the near future. Mantassas said the internet has made the research process of college decisions much easier, yet the social media attention has made him more focused on the image than he had hoped. 

B-CC Senior Sophia Shuman said, “Every time I have opened Instagram in the last week there’s been a new decision post. This honestly makes me feel very exposed and I begin to compare myself to others going to big state schools because I feel like I’m several steps behind.” 

Both Mantassas and Shuman have agreed they feel pressured by their friends to post as soon as possible, which only adds to the amount of internal stress they already put up with. This external pressure has persuaded Shuman to slow down and not feel rushed to post on the page, even after she has already committed for a little while.

May 1st is coming up faster than some might have hoped, meaning hundreds of B-CC students have minimal weeks remaining to determine where they will journey off to in the fall. Nonetheless, wherever they may go, we know they will do great things. Good luck Class of 2024!