Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC Class of 2024 College Decisions page since you checked last night.
Emily Atrokhov

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC Class of 2024 College Decisions page since you checked last night. However, this isn’t unusual as in the last few months your Instagram has been swarming with posts from this page alone. You put your phone down and sigh as you still bear with the fact that you’re stuck between deciding where you want to spend the next four years of your life, and are envious of your peers who know where they are going in the fall. This scene may look familiar for plenty of B-CC seniors who have many difficult decisions to make before May 1st quickly comes around. 

As one approaches the spring semester of their senior year, it is not unusual to experience an increased amount of anxiety and impatience surrounding college decisions. However, seeing college acceptances and decisions from outside peers through Instagram may create an unhealthy environment for some students. B-CC Senior Paolo Mantassas had much to say regarding the social media aspect of college decisions. “Social media forces a comparison that constantly makes me feel inadequate, and I feel a pressure to decide quicker when I see these posts flooding in but in reality, I have no idea where I want to go,” commented Mantassas. 

This increased pressure to post and decide one’s next steps in life only creates toxic habits and a loss of self-respect as students begin to feel behind compared to their peers and question their talents and capabilities. Mantassas added, “I feel like I should be excited to decide like everyone else, but I just don’t.” The stressful decisions seniors face during this time period should never cause regrets of any sort, let alone uncertainty about their abilities and what they have going for them in the near future. Mantassas said the internet has made the research process of college decisions much easier, yet the social media attention has made him more focused on the image than he had hoped. 

B-CC Senior Sophia Shuman said, “Every time I have opened Instagram in the last week there’s been a new decision post. This honestly makes me feel very exposed and I begin to compare myself to others going to big state schools because I feel like I’m several steps behind.” 

Both Mantassas and Shuman have agreed they feel pressured by their friends to post as soon as possible, which only adds to the amount of internal stress they already put up with. This external pressure has persuaded Shuman to slow down and not feel rushed to post on the page, even after she has already committed for a little while.

May 1st is coming up faster than some might have hoped, meaning hundreds of B-CC students have minimal weeks remaining to determine where they will journey off to in the fall. Nonetheless, wherever they may go, we know they will do great things. Good luck Class of 2024!