Barons Baseball Beats Rivals and Jumps in Rankings

This week, the Barons took down Whitman and Blair High Schools to jump to the top of the region and the state championship rankings.
Jude Wilkenfeld
The B-CC Barons are officially #1 in the State!

On Saturday, April 20, the Barons beat the consensus top team in the state, Walt Whitman High School, 7-3. The Barons opened strong, putting up two runs in the first inning off of a Junior Trent Lopez double. Though Whitman tied it up in the bottom half of the inning, the Barons stayed down and took the lead in the 4th off of a Whitman error. After that, they never gave the lead up and eventually brought the team total up to 7. Senior Bobby Burk shoved on the mound with 5 innings of two-run baseball, where he struck out nine batters. Junior Will Atkinson earned the save after coming in to relieve Burk. After the game, both Prep Baseball Rankings and Xposure Sports ranked the Barons #1 in their power rankings following the win. B-CC can lock up the region with some wins and some Quince Orchard losses.

The Barons squeaked out an extra-inning win on Wednesday, April 24, beating Blair 6-5 on a walk-off. After Blair jumped out to an early lead, Burk tied it up with a big single that scored two. Senior Jackson Clemens scored three runs, leading the team, and hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth. Junior Henry Eichner started the game and gave up five runs in seven and one-third innings. Senior Pierce Tewksbury closed out the extra-inning top of the eighth, and Senior Nate Bromberger walked it off in the bottom of the inning.

The Barons finished the week with an overall record of 12-4, and clinched Co-Division Champions with Whitman. They will play three of their final four games next week. On Saturday they play at Gaithersburg at 2pm, they play Sherwood at 3:45pm at home on Tuesday, and at Springbrook on Thursday at 3:45pm.