The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

The Impact of Screen Time on Productivity: Finding Balance in a Digital Age

While technology has undoubtedly revolutionized the way we work and communicate, excessive screen time can have a profound impact on our productivity. 
Social media use can distract students from their school work.

In today’s digital era, screens dominate our daily lives. From smartphones to computers, we are constantly surrounded by screens, both at work and at home. While technology has undoubtedly revolutionized the way we work and communicate, excessive screen time can have a profound impact on our productivity. 

To understand screen time, it must first be defined. Screen time refers to the amount of time spent using digital devices with screens, including smartphones, tablets, computers, and TVs. With the rise of remote work and digital entertainment, screen time has skyrocketed in recent years.

While screens have made many tasks more efficient, they also pose significant productivity challenges. Constant notifications, social media distractions, and the temptation to multitask can all undermine our ability to focus and get things done. Senior Diago Arauz-Duarte said, “Screen time is especially an issue when people lose track of time and don’t put time limits on their apps. It is also on the person though, to make sure they stay on track and don’t get distracted from what matters.”

In recent years there has also been growing concern over the “iPad-kid epidemic”, a generation of young kids spending excessive amounts of time glued to their screens, inhibiting important stages of their early development. This is a frightening phenomenon as there is now an extra layer of worry about how kids will be impacted by the lack of normal environmental stimulation. Ms. Swissman, a B-CC social worker, said, “I have young kids, and I’ve noticed some of my friends’ kids are more reliant on their screens, which poses an issue for their future development.” She continued, “When I worked at other schools, I noticed teens were especially glued to their screens, and it caused rifts in their relationships and priorities, creating issues with their focus.”

Despite the belief that multitasking increases productivity, studies have consistently found that it decreases efficiency. When we attempt to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, our brains become overloaded, leading to errors and slower completion times. Senior Sophia Galvis said, “Our social life is important, and technology is important, [because it] is one of the main ways we stay in touch with others for self-growth and success.” She added, “Productivity is essential to high school life to succeed, and it is harmed by our screen time, because it diminishes our attention spans and patience levels.”

The key to mitigating the negative effects of screen time on productivity is finding balance. Set boundaries and establish designated times for screen use and prioritize in-person social activities vs. consistently checking social media. One of the best things that can be added to your daily routine is to incorporate mindfulness practices, such as meditation, that will help improve concentration and reduce stress. Ultimately, the goal is not to eliminate screen time but to cultivate a healthy relationship with tech that will inspire success.

View Comments (1)