Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

The Impact of Screen Time on Productivity: Finding Balance in a Digital Age

While technology has undoubtedly revolutionized the way we work and communicate, excessive screen time can have a profound impact on our productivity. 
Social media use can distract students from their school work.

In today’s digital era, screens dominate our daily lives. From smartphones to computers, we are constantly surrounded by screens, both at work and at home. While technology has undoubtedly revolutionized the way we work and communicate, excessive screen time can have a profound impact on our productivity. 

To understand screen time, it must first be defined. Screen time refers to the amount of time spent using digital devices with screens, including smartphones, tablets, computers, and TVs. With the rise of remote work and digital entertainment, screen time has skyrocketed in recent years.

While screens have made many tasks more efficient, they also pose significant productivity challenges. Constant notifications, social media distractions, and the temptation to multitask can all undermine our ability to focus and get things done. Senior Diago Arauz-Duarte said, “Screen time is especially an issue when people lose track of time and don’t put time limits on their apps. It is also on the person though, to make sure they stay on track and don’t get distracted from what matters.”

In recent years there has also been growing concern over the “iPad-kid epidemic”, a generation of young kids spending excessive amounts of time glued to their screens, inhibiting important stages of their early development. This is a frightening phenomenon as there is now an extra layer of worry about how kids will be impacted by the lack of normal environmental stimulation. Ms. Swissman, a B-CC social worker, said, “I have young kids, and I’ve noticed some of my friends’ kids are more reliant on their screens, which poses an issue for their future development.” She continued, “When I worked at other schools, I noticed teens were especially glued to their screens, and it caused rifts in their relationships and priorities, creating issues with their focus.”

Despite the belief that multitasking increases productivity, studies have consistently found that it decreases efficiency. When we attempt to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, our brains become overloaded, leading to errors and slower completion times. Senior Sophia Galvis said, “Our social life is important, and technology is important, [because it] is one of the main ways we stay in touch with others for self-growth and success.” She added, “Productivity is essential to high school life to succeed, and it is harmed by our screen time, because it diminishes our attention spans and patience levels.”

The key to mitigating the negative effects of screen time on productivity is finding balance. Set boundaries and establish designated times for screen use and prioritize in-person social activities vs. consistently checking social media. One of the best things that can be added to your daily routine is to incorporate mindfulness practices, such as meditation, that will help improve concentration and reduce stress. Ultimately, the goal is not to eliminate screen time but to cultivate a healthy relationship with tech that will inspire success.

View Comments (1)