Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School.
Jonah Peters
Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately 26 public and private school teams, including B-CC High School, competed in the popular event. The conditions were much more favorable than the windy conditions at the prior week’s competition in Hagerstown. Junior Jasper Sandmeyer recalled, “the conditions were perfect for running – sunny and not too hot and not too cold.”

The big story of the day was the team’s stunning performance. Junior Sophie Harjes won the women’s 3200 meter run with a time of 11:23.43. Also, Senior Amanda Ridore continued her winning streak by coming in first in the women’s high jump. Junior Jaylin Harried took first place in the triple jump. As for the men’s team, Denison University commit, Seamus McCann, who broke his finger last October, came in second place for the men’s pole vault. 

Next up for Track and Field is the sold-out Gator Track and Field Invitational on Saturday, April 27 at Reservoir High School. Junior Tytan Hinkson said, “I’m looking forward to the competition on Saturday and then facing WJ on Tuesday.”