Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

5 Holiday Movies You Forgot About

But there’s more to this storied genre than just Elf, Home Alone, and Eight Crazy Nights. Let’s take a moment to celebrate the holiday films that many of us would rather forget.
Wren Buehler
Spend some time this holiday season streaming these films you shouldn’t forget (but already have).

As we enter the holiday season, many among us are getting ready to celebrate in our way — and for many families, that means holiday movies. But there’s more to this storied genre than just Elf, Home Alone, and Eight Crazy Nights. Let’s take a moment to celebrate the holiday films that many of us would rather forget.

Number 5. Scooby Doo and Ebenezer Too

Everyone loves Scooby Doo. A couple of people presumably love A Christmas Carol. Hanna-Barbera, desperate to corner a market of potentially dozens, created this crossover in 2003. Though the idea that the ghosts were merely disguised beggars was an unwelcome change, I appreciated the bittersweet ending: Shaggy, discovering the value of Christmas giving, realizes the true monster is Scrooge, and delivers him to the guillotine to be executed.

Number 4. Rudolph Saves President’s Day

Who doesn’t love a little Rankin/Bass? While it may not be as iconic as the other Rudolph films, this movie consistently makes its way onto lists of the best President’s Day movies, and for good reason. Jack Nicholson’s Lincoln is a tour de force work of celebrity voice acting, and Mel Gibson’s Washington— oh, that’s why no one talks about it anymore. 

Number 3. Home Alone Eighteen

Dedicated Home Alone fans will tell you that the first is the best, followed by the second, followed by the twenty-first, and followed by the eighteenth. But there’s a lot to love about this film! They may not have Macaulay Culkin, but HA18 delivers when it comes to over-the-top violence: in the climax, a burglar accidentally hacks off his arm after the protagonist launches a broken Madagascar DVD into his eyes. Don’t worry — he gets better.

Number 2. Very Merry Marital Troubles

For many, Hallmark movies are a guilty pleasure. But the devout among us will recall that too much pleasure is a sin— and we have Very Merry for them. Continuing the story of Carol Jolly and Gurt Farmboy from Very Merry Marriage, VMMT follows them through their second Christmas as Carol struggles to find work in their charming little town and Gurt grapples with the fact that Carol doesn’t want kids. After Carol’s mother unexpectedly falls ill, they realize the true meaning of Christmas is divorce.

Number 1. Fox News Presents: The War on Christmas: Revenge of the Gays

Unlike most other films on this list, FNP:TWoC:RotG was released quite recently: since Dec 1, 2023, it’s been airing nightly on Fox News. Tucker Carlson features as Alpha Santa, a god-fearing father defending Christmas from endless hordes of blue-haired latte drinkers, undercover transgenderizers, and women with haircuts that are a little too short. Revenge of the Gays has been described as “hateful” by Vice, “propagandistic” by BBC, and “the only film brave enough to tell the truth about killer lesbians abolishing Jesus” by Fox.