Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

Single (And Not Sad) During V-Day

Make sure to remind all of your least favorite couples that only 2-5% of high school relationships make it long-term.
Katie Dorsey
Not everyone has a Valentine.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and love is in the air. That means a lot of people in relationships will be doing classic couples activities…except for those of us Barons who haven’t been lucky enough to be hit by Cupid’s arrow.

Some may feel sorry for single people during this time of year, but think of all the perks they get that couples take for granted. The discounted candy section never looked as good as the days after Valentine’s, and you can stuff your face with heart-shaped chocolates that you bought for yourself, almost filling the heart-shaped void in your soul. 

Nothing screams “Valentine’s Day” like watching Titanic by yourself over a tub of vanilla ice cream, honoring your vanilla love life. You’re definitely not going to cry thinking about how you’ll never experience that level of once-in-a-lifetime romance. 

Your friends may be receiving valentines and gifts from their sweethearts, but you don’t have to worry about being embarrassed by an impromptu grand gesture at school. The only acceptable ones are being serenaded with your favorite song (10 Things I Hate About You) or building you your dream house (The Notebook). But, no one would ever be able to live up to movie expectations anyway, so what’s the point?  

Sure you can throw a Gal-entine’s party, but where do you think those friends will be on the actual holiday? With their sweethearts (duh), while you’re left at home alone to make plans for a night by yourself. 

In fact, loneliness is a mindset, and your delusions can keep you satisfied without even having to leave the comfort of your own home. You can fangirl over Jacob Elordi while watching The Kissing Booth edits playing on repeat. Plus, the Jeremy Allen White Calvin Klein commercial could use some more views. Celebrities are way better than real boyfriends and won’t disappoint you with false expectations. 

While all your peers suffocate the school with their lust, you may feel like there is nothing you can do but sit and watch. However, you can cure this disease called love by balancing it out with a hint of pessimism.  

Make sure to remind all of your least favorite couples that only 2-5% of high school relationships make it long-term. If that isn’t enough to discourage them, you can politely let them know that about 50% of marriages end in divorce, because why suffer alone when you could bring others down with you?

A final message to all of our (sad) satisfied singles: don’t feel too sad. There are a ton of specials going on at Chick-fil-A and Dominoes, and you don’t need another person to enjoy a heart-shaped tub of chicken nuggets or pizza. Take a bubble bath and tune in to watch new episodes of The Bachelor. Reality TV is so scripted it won’t matter that they’re finding “love” while you’re alone at home. Your time will come eventually, don’t despair!  The best kind of love is self-love.

View Comments (1)