Battle Of The Bands

On Friday, March 15, various local student bands competed in a Battle of the Bands at the Veteran of Foreign Walls Hall in Wheaton. The bands performed in many different musical genres.
Jonah Peters
Alex Coulouris, member of the band Djembes, plays in the final round of the Battle of the bands competition.

On Friday March 15, various local student bands competed in a Battle of the Bands at the Veteran of Foreign Walls Hall in Wheaton. The bands performed in many different musical genres.

The competition consisted of four rounds, with each band performing a variety of songs for the audience. The crowd then voted on their favorite band to advance to the next round. After each round, one band was eliminated until only one was left victorious.

The band Sundale won the competition. Senior Espen Herrera, Sundale guitarist, shared, “It was super exciting that we not only won, but we got to pit ourselves against these other super talented bands and see how we stacked up.” Herrera added, “The crowd was extremely interactive and [we were] engaging with tons of different fan bases. You’d see people moshing to Tool one minute and singing along to Hall and Oates the next.” The other members of Sundale are Seniors Collin Eccles, Milo Stout, Lanham Scofield, and Jake Joholske. Sundale beat over half a dozen other bands, including B-CC bands Djembes, Hot Moms, and Scoria.

Sophomore Toby Zapruder, lead guitarist for the band Scoria, added to this sentiment,  “People were extremely respectful and a lot of fun to play for. A big part of performing is how the crowd reacts to this music. This crowd was into it, which makes performing really exciting.”