B-CC Band Takes On New York City; Earthquake Strikes

Members of the Band Department departed yesterday, April 4, for a trip to New York City over the weekend. This morning, Friday, April 5, an earthquake with a 4.8 magnitude struck New Jersey, rattling New York City and B-CC students.
Giuliana Culzoni
A band’s eye view of New York City

Members of the Band Department departed yesterday, April 4, for a trip to New York City over the weekend. This morning, Friday, April 5, an earthquake with a 4.8 magnitude struck New Jersey, rattling New York City and B-CC students. No major related incidents were reported in NYC, but the earthquake left residents and visitors, alike, feeling shaken up. Junior Ayanna Rushing shared, “it was really weird because I’ve never felt an earthquake.”

As band students continue their excursion, they will have an opportunity to compete against other high school bands in a series of categories from jazz band to choir at The World Strides Festival. On the trip, they will also attend the Broadway show, MJ: The Musical and will have plenty of free time to explore the city. 

B-CC’s Band Department traditionally takes an annual spring trip. One year, students had the chance to explore Nashville, also known as Music City, where they had a lot of competition success. While students will spend part of the trip playing their respective instruments or singing in competitions, a highlight for many is exploring a new place with their fellow band members. 

Senior James Smith said, “I’m excited to walk around with my friends, mostly, and I’m excited to experience the local music of New York City.” Senior and saxophone player, Julian Dahiya, is more focused on the band portion of the trip. He said, “I’m going for one reason, and one reason only, to win.”