Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

SMOB Finalist Selections

Montgomery Blair High School junior, Sam Ross, and Clarksburg High School junior, Praneel Suvarna, were selected as Student Member of the Board (SMOB) finalists at the SMOB nominating convention on Wednesday, Feb. 14.
SMOB candidate Sam Ross speaks at a B-CC town hall

Montgomery Blair High School junior, Sam Ross, and Clarksburg High School junior, Praneel Suvarna, were selected as Student Member of the Board (SMOB) finalists at the SMOB nominating convention on Wednesday, Feb. 14. Ross and Suvarna will continue to campaign for a full-voting seat on the MCPS Board of Education, with the county-wide election scheduled for Wednesday, Apr. 17.

Ross, one of the two finalists, has served in various leadership positions. She currently serves as Director of Community Relations in the Montgomery County Regional SGA and chief of staff in the SMOB Advisory Council. Ross has a long history of student advocacy, including testifying in front of the Board 13 times and working with the current SMOB, Sami Saeed. Her campaign emphasizes safety, achievement, engagement, and student life, with proposals ranging from grading policy reforms, free standardized testing, and increased college and career resources.

“My biggest goal is hearing students and representing what students want, students voice need to be the center of MCPS, and thats what I want to show. more specifically, some of my plans include holding multiple discussions with staff, students, and parents on the most important issues such as safety, drug use, and voting with student priorities in mind when it comes to where our money goes,” Ross said.

Suvarna, the other finalist, is the SGA Vice President and Clarksburg’s junior class president. Suvarna, like Ross, has also worked extensively in student advocacy, working as MoCo for Change Field Organization Director and MCR Environmental Affairs Coordinator, and has testified to the Board seven times. His campaign priorities include combating the drug and opioid crisis by expanding access to Narcan and ensuring equitable representation for underrepresented schools within the SMOB Advisory Council.

“I want to be able to show every student in the county that they matter; alongside that, I have done meaningful work on issues like combatting the drug epidemic, sustainability, and connecting with newcomers. It is always the highlight of my day to be able to talk to students across the county,” Suvarna said.

Despite sharing similar visions for improving MCPS, Ross and Suvarna distinguished themselves through speeches and insightful responses during the SMOB nominating convention. Their selection as finalists marked an emotional moment for both candidates, demonstrating their dedication to student advocacy and leadership.

If elected, Ross would make history as the first SMOB from Blair since 2006, while Suvarna could become Clarksburg’s first SMOB since 2015. Their nominations reflect a promising future for student representation within Montgomery County.

As the election date comes closer, all eyes will be on Ross and Suvarna as they continue to campaign for the opportunity to represent the voices of Montgomery County’s student body. With their passion, vision, and dedication, they embody the spirit of youth leadership and engagement, promising a brighter future for MCPS and its students.