Tattler Staff Takes on J-Day at UMD

The Tattler team was joined by multiple schools, journalists, and scholars from across the state. Journalism Day was an opportunity for students interested in journalism to learn more about the field.
Amelia Zalubas
The Tattler staff at J-day last Friday.

On Friday, April 12, The Tattler took on Journalism Day (J-Day) at the University of Maryland. The Tattler team was joined by multiple schools, journalists, and scholars from across the state. Journalism Day was an opportunity for students interested in journalism to learn more about the field.

The event began with keynote speaker Alexandra Petri, a satirical columnist for The Washington Post. Students then had a chance to choose from different workshops to attend across three sessions. Sessions included “Artificial Intelligence,” “Why TikTok Journalism Matters,” “Your Legal Rights as a Student Journalist,” student panels, tours of UMD’s journalism facilities, and more. Experts taught these courses and went into depth about each topic. Tattler Artist and Staff Writer, Senior Hannah Peters, expressed, “The speakers were very engaging, and I went to a lecture about the future of AI in journalism, which definitely made me more interested in pursuing journalism in the future.”

Students at J-Day learned skills and knowledge that could apply to their future journalism careers. Tattler Staff Writer and rising Editor-in-Chief, Junior Hannah Brooker, shared, “J-Day allowed me to learn more about the future of journalism and what a career would potentially look like.”