Corner Slice Pizza Closes; Affordable Options Limited in Bethesda

On March 15, 2024, Corner Slice Pizza, at 7901 Norfolk Dr. in Bethesda, permanently closed its doors.
With+the+close+of+the+Corner+Slice%2C+affordable+options+for+food+are+scarce+in+Bethesda+
With the close of the Corner Slice, affordable options for food are scarce in Bethesda

On March 15, 2024, Corner Slice Pizza, at 7901 Norfolk Dr. in Bethesda, permanently closed its doors. They marketed themselves as a New York-style pizzeria, and have been appreciated by many local customers.

Daniel Roth, a part of BCC’s graduating class of 2023, said, “All my 4 years of high school I went to Corner Slice about every two weeks because it was easy to get and never got old.”

In addition to their great food, customers love their prices. With rising inflation, it is hard to find a good, decently-priced meal, especially for students. 

Near B-CC, we have a lot of dining options popular among students. For instance, Chipotle, Pita on the Plaza, Sprout, Brown Bag, and more. However, as the years pass, students express how simple fast-food restaurants where teens can eat and socialize are slowly, but surely, becoming unattainable.

Junior Angela Giller shared, “I used to go to Bethesda Row all the time with my friends to get food, but now it’s just where I meet up with people before we go somewhere else because everything is so pricey.” She continues, “I feel that gradually, more fancy, sit-down restaurants have been settling in Bethesda, driving out business that is popular among us teens.”

Lately, there has been a trend to see new restaurants pop up like Planta, The Salt Line, and Kusshi Sushi, while other places to dine like The Perfect Pita and Corner Slice Pizza are closing down. In addition to new sit-down restaurants, fast-food restaurants are increasing their prices. 

“I used to love to eat at Poke Dojo in Bethesda Row when I got the time. I would get a small poke bowl for about $10. Now the small bowl is up to around $14 and with $10 I would only be able to get an extra small bowl. It’s upsetting that the expense of food doesn’t seem to equate to how much you are getting,” said Giller. 

Concerns that our students have with the new and developing restaurants such as convenience and pricing did not appear at Corner Slice Pizza. They even aimed to make their food more accessible to students. 

Junior Teddy Mottur, a former employee at Corner Slice, said, “The menu holds a student special, which includes two slices of pizza and a drink for $6. This deal was great because it was very affordable and was made quickly for students rushing from lunch to class.”

Although this occurrence may seem trivial to some, this restaurant as a whole has played a significant role in many B-CC students’ high school years. Whether it’s meeting new friends there or just laughing while enjoying a slice of pizza, Corner Slice will be missed.