La falta de comprension: Ignorar las necesidades y acomodaciones de los estudiantes

Incluso considerando las acomodaciones adecuadas implementadas para los estudiantes, uno debe preguntarse si estos estudiantes realmente han...

Luana Turcco in action
B-CC Welcomes International Handball Star

Handball, a team sport where two teams of typically seven players use their hands to pass a ball aiming to throw it into the goal on the opposite...

The documentary that exposed the dark side of Nickelodeon
The Dark Truth Behind the TV Screen

As children, we’re prone to laugh at seemingly insignificant jokes, but as we grow older the dark not-so-humorous truth behind said jokes unravels...

B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors
B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC...

Sophomore Koko Jenkin pitching against WJ
Barons Softball Hit Mid Season Struggles

After a dominating win in the Battle of Bethesda, B-CC traveled to Churchill to play a talented Bulldogs squad. The Barons jumped out to an early...

Huge Week for Barons Baseball
Huge Week for Barons Baseball

This week, B-CC Varsity Baseball won two blowout games against Damascus and Churchill, and won a huge game against Walter Johnson. Saturday,...

One size fits all can be a harmful business model
One Size Fits None

“One size fits all,” but does it really? The most logical answer is no. However, companies still label their clothes with this kind of sizing,...

MCPS Virtual Academy

MCPS Virtual Academy, created after transitioning from online school back to traditional school, has seen concerningly low stats in comparison to the rest of MCPS.
Statistics+seem+to+show+failings+in+the+MCPS+Virtual+Academy+
Sourced from the Office of Shared Accountability
Statistics seem to show failings in the MCPS Virtual Academy

MCPS Virtual Academy, created after transitioning from online school during the Covid-19 pandemic back to traditional school, has seen concerningly low stats in comparison to the rest of MCPS. A study done by MCPS’s Office of Shared Accountability (OSA) in March of 2023 showed that in grades 9-12, students enrolled in online schooling had a worse GPA than their in-school counterparts. The average in-school student had a 3.44 unweighted GPA, while the online students only had a 3.04 GPA. 

The original concept for online schooling was to create a safe space for students to learn for those who learn better online or require an alternative environment. However, with the seemingly low grade point averages, parents and members of the community have raised questions about the effectiveness of the program. Dr. Jennifer Reesman, a pediatric neuropsychologist, shared her concerns with the MCPS Virtual Academy at an MCPS board meeting held on Feb. 20. She said, “Parents often tell me with regret that they trusted that the school system would tell them if something was wrong. Something is wrong.” 

Many parents place the blame squarely on attendance. The OSA study showed that in grades 9, 10, and 12, in-person school had a higher attendance rate than online schooling, though in-person attendance rates have also diminished across the county over the past few years. Attendance in grade 11 was higher online than in person. Some parents remain positive that MVA is a better model for their children to learn. Parent Patricia Wagner said, “I feel MVA as a program will benefit many children, including mine, by providing a safe space to continue their education while managing a variety of personal and social challenges.”

View Comments (1)