Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

B-CC Poms Places 3rd in Invitational

This past weekend, on January 6th, the B-CC Poms team competed at the Springbrook Invitational and earned themselves a spot on the podium, bringing home a 3rd place trophy. 
Jonah Peters
Varsity Poms performs during a pep rally at BCC

Head Coach Jennifer Lloyd said, “To place in our first competition in a higher division, I feel is a huge accomplishment.” 

After an incredible 2022-2023 season the team moved up to Division 1, making this their first D1 competition in the program’s history. Coach Lloyd continued, “Competing against these teams that we have looked up to for so long, I feel this immense pride for the team but it is also daunting.” Ruby Barone, a senior on the team, shared, “My favorite part of the competition was being able to show the other teams we deserve to be in D1.”

On Saturday, the team performed a six-minute routine that was made up of various styles of dances such as jazz, kick, hip hop, lyrical, cadence, and pom. A lot of people underestimate how much physical effort goes into executing a routine that long. Barone said, “Everyone collapses on the ground completely exhausted but there is no better feeling than knowing you left it all out on the floor.”

On and off the dance floor, the team needs to be connected. Senior Captain Emilie Lynch said “My favorite part of the routine is where our whole team screams “BCC POMS” in the middle of the dance because it is a big energy boost and everyone looks forward to that part.” Lynch continued, “We were all excited to be back in competition season, which showed when we were getting ready for the performance, on the bus ride to Springbrook blasting music, and the huddle before going on the floor.”

After her first D1 competition, Lynch continued, “I noticed that the skill level of the opposing teams [being] more advanced but more equal on every team.” As the team adjusts to the new level of competition, the coaches and captains continue to work together to lead the team higher. Coach Lloyd explained, “[the captains] do all of the choreography while assistant coach Megan Hershey and I handle a lot of the behind-the-scenes work.” Specifically, Coach Lloyd said, “[Coach Hershey] has a good eye for cleanliness and detail, and knows what’s going to impress the judges.”

Following each competition, the team receives feedback from the judges. Using that feedback, Lynch explained, “We are planning to make the routine cleaner, stronger, and more cohesive, with more places to show off technique, skill, and creativity.” Then the team will have a few more opportunities to demonstrate these skills, as the competition season has only just begun.

Up next are two invitationals, scheduled on January 20th at Seneca Valley HS at 4 P.M.,  and at Northwest HS on January 27th at 6 P.M. Also, they have the annual half-time performance at the Wizards vs. Timberwolves game on January 24th at 6 P.M. However, it is all leading up to the final competition, counties, which will take place on February 3rd at Blair HS at 5:30 P.M. Mark your calendars and make sure to show out and support your B-CC Poms.