Uptick in Student Misbehavior

Taken of A4 Bathroom

Will Swann and Riley Petersen

In the past two weeks, two ambulances have been called to B-CC (or B-CC sponsored events) over drug-related incidents, students have shown up to school intoxicated, a trash can was lit on fire, and red paint was splattered on four B-CC bathrooms.

Principal Dr. Mooney released a community message on Tuesday, May 30, indicating that B-CC will have a change in protocols for hall passes “due to the increase in destructive behaviors at B-CC over the past few days.” Mooney explained to Tattler, “the last straw was on Tuesday when we had someone go around to several bathrooms and take what looked like red ink and just throw it all over the place. Building service then had to repaint four of our bathrooms.” Mooney continued, “My initial hope was that we just had to get the seniors out, but clearly when it continued happening on Tuesday it was not necessarily the seniors.”

The last straw was on Tuesday when we had someone go around to several bathrooms and take what looked like red ink and just throw it all over the place. Building service then had to repaint four of our bathrooms.

— Dr. Mooney

Friday, May 26, was the seniors’ last day of school which led to a series of misconduct, including students becoming intoxicated and vandalizing school property. A B-CC senior who wishes to remain anonymous showed up to school intoxicated on Friday and explained that “What made me feel like this was acceptable was the fact that at B-CC it’s quite difficult to get in trouble for just about anything. I figured the worst thing that could happen was maybe I couldn’t walk at graduation, and I saw that as highly unlikely. So I just went through with getting drunk.” Additionally, a video circulated the school of seniors taking shots in the boys’ bathroom. 

Students being intoxicated at school wasn’t the only issue that occurred Friday. Students carried out a series of  vandalism and rioting across the school. A B-CC senior who wishes to remain anonymous, confirmed that a trash can was lit on fire in the B3 hallways between the 6th and 7th periods. “The whole hallway smelt like something was burning while I was walking to 7th period,” junior Annie Isaacson told Tattler staff.

The fire was a solid distraction for the party that was occurring in F3 [hallway]

Security confirmed that a trashcan was lit on fire.

“The fire was a solid distraction for the party that was occurring in F3 [hallway],” said an anonymous student who participated, referring to the large gathering of students in the F3 hallway that were chanting and throwing garbage cans around, causing a major disruption to the passing period.

According to PTSA president Lyric Winik, a student performed  “a physically disgusting form of vandalism in the B-CC Cares Pantry.” Winik expressed that she was “distressed and disappointed since it was so disrespectful to parents and volunteers who work so hard to take care of the pantry.” 

A student performed  a physically disgusting form of vandalism in the B-CC Cares Pantry.

Drug abuse has also been a problem at B-CC recently. “I think there’s a huge uptick in drug use,” said B-CC school Nurse Ms. White.

I think there’s a huge uptick in drug use

— B-CC school Nurse Ms. White

In the last two weeks, an ambulance was called to school property for a student who had become incapacitated due to marijuana. Another ambulance arrived at prom to remove a student incapacitated by drugs. 

“I believe that if students thought about some of their actions that would curtail some of it, but oftentimes students don’t think like that and do whatever is in the moment,” said B-CC security guard Mr. Cunningham.

“We’ve never had this before,” Mr. Cunningham continued.

Issues such as vandalism and substance abuse have been growing rapidly county-wide and it’s important that these issues are heard and addressed.