The Army Battles Through the Competition

Adam Niman, Sports Director

As the spring season ends, it is vital to recognize what a great season the girl’s lacrosse team put forth. The Barons finished with a stellar record of 8-4.  Despite their triumphant regular season, the Barons had their season and title dreams cut short by one of their rivals, Walter Johnson High School, on May 12 in a narrow 8-7 loss.

This season was full of ups and downs for the girl’s lacrosse team. Starting the season hot, the girls won their first three games with an astounding goal differential of plus 39 goals. Then, battling a handful of injuries and working through a demanding conference schedule, the barons lost three of their next four games. This schedule included a back-and-forth, down-to-the-wire match against their rivals, Walt Whitman High School, losing by one goal. The team finished their regular season winning four of their last five games, heading into the playoffs after two blowout wins against Albert Einstein High School and John F. Kennedy High School.

As playoffs rolled around, the girls looked to defend their regional title and make it back for a second-straight state final appearance. Winning their first game easily, they faced a strong Walter Johnson squad that cut their dreams of getting back to Loyola short.

With so much talent in the county, many argue that winning that regional championship was as hard as winning a state title. “We knew it was going to be hard to repeat [as regional champs] because our region has some of the best teams in the state,” said junior Claire Campbell.

With the departure of eight seniors, including two of their most essential pieces on offense (Malia Adams and Cella Shanely), this squad looks to regroup and reclaim their region next season. Many team members have had one or two years of varsity lacrosse under their belts, giving them a slight advantage in a division where any advantage is welcomed with open arms. 

After losing all three games to their rivals this season, Walter Johnson and Walt Whitman, the army has a chip on their shoulder and are out for revenge next year.