Baseball Goes 4-1 To Start The Season

The Boys Varsity Baseball team has come out hot to start the season, going 4-1 in their first five games, with wins over Wheaton, Magruder, Hereford, and Arundel High Schools. Their one loss came after a hard-fought game against the Parkside Rams.
Noah Light
Baseball season has begun.

In their first game of the year, the Barons came out swinging for the fences with a 10-0 win against Wheaton, behind a dominant performance on the mound from Senior Matthew Duffy.  He threw five innings of one-hit baseball, and struck out 11. On the offensive side, a triple by Junior Trent Lopez followed by a double from Senior Bobby Burk set up a big afternoon for the offense. After that, the Barons laid it onto the Knights, stealing 13 bases throughout the game with impressive base running. In addition to the base path, Junior Will Adkinson crushed a solo home run in the third inning.

The Barons kept it rolling in the first game of a doubleheader against Magruder on March 25, winning 3-0. Senior Bobby Burk threw six innings of shutout baseball, and Senior Pierce Tewksbury came in for the save and struck out the side. In addition to the save, Tewksbury, Adkinson, and Sophomore Jayson Cohen all drove in a run.

In the second game on the 25th, the Barons beat the Hereford Bulls with a final score of 10-4. Junior Henry Eichner earned the win, allowing seven hits and two runs over five innings.  The Barons totaled 10 runs through incredible plate discipline, amassing seven walks throughout the game.

On Wednesday, March 27, the Barons added another win to the column with a 16-6 win against Arundel. In a display of big bats, eight players recorded RBIs, led by Cohen, who had three out of the eight hole. Tewksbury tossed four innings, allowing two runs (one unearned), and Duffy appeared in relief.

In their second game of the day on the 27th, the Barons couldn’t get it going, losing 11-0 to the reigning state champion, the Parkside Rams. Lockdown pitching from the Rams led to a quiet afternoon for the Barons offense, despite hits from Flynn, Tewksbury, and Adkinson to try to spark some life into the game.

The Barons travel to Churchill at 3:45 today and follow that up with a doubleheader against Walter Johnson High School and Albert Einstein High School at 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. in the coming days.  Varsity Baseball will continue their season next week on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday against Quince Orchard, Walt Whitman, and Montgomery Blair High Schools, respectively.