La falta de comprension: Ignorar las necesidades y acomodaciones de los estudiantes

Incluso considerando las acomodaciones adecuadas implementadas para los estudiantes, uno debe preguntarse si estos estudiantes realmente han...

Luana Turcco in action
B-CC Welcomes International Handball Star

Handball, a team sport where two teams of typically seven players use their hands to pass a ball aiming to throw it into the goal on the opposite...

The documentary that exposed the dark side of Nickelodeon
The Dark Truth Behind the TV Screen

As children, we’re prone to laugh at seemingly insignificant jokes, but as we grow older the dark not-so-humorous truth behind said jokes unravels...

B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors
B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC...

Sophomore Koko Jenkin pitching against WJ
Barons Softball Hit Mid Season Struggles

After a dominating win in the Battle of Bethesda, B-CC traveled to Churchill to play a talented Bulldogs squad. The Barons jumped out to an early...

Huge Week for Barons Baseball
Huge Week for Barons Baseball

This week, B-CC Varsity Baseball won two blowout games against Damascus and Churchill, and won a huge game against Walter Johnson. Saturday,...

One size fits all can be a harmful business model
One Size Fits None

“One size fits all,” but does it really? The most logical answer is no. However, companies still label their clothes with this kind of sizing,...

Interview with Artist, Nalia Ahmed

Ahmed will show off her artistic talents in the Spring Musical, Prom, in the leading role, Emma Nolan.
Jonah Peters
Senior Nalia Ahmed sings with her band “The Neithers” at a student fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis

B-CC offers a wide range of opportunities for students to explore their passions, whether in math, science, history, sports, or in Senior Nalia Ahmed’s case, the arts.

Ahmed has spent a large portion of her young life dedicated to various forms of art. She dances, sings, and acts, and finds numerous avenues for following her passions. For one, she fills her course load with music classes, such as Guitar, Music Technology, Chamber Singers, and IB Dance. Each course teaches her something new. Ahmed said, “I get to explore my creative pathways a little more. In IB Dance I get to do a lot of choreography, and in Music Technology I get to do more composing.”

Ahmed’s most well-known performances arguably are those she puts on at pep rallies as president of the school’s hip-hop dance team: B-CC Moves. Her role as president is to choreograph routines, organize events, build team spirit, and of course, dance. Ahmed said, “I never really had an outlet to create, myself, so B-CC Moves has been amazing for that and for learning about leadership, and expressing myself in that setting has been very healing.”

Although Ahmed is currently immersed in the arts, this wasn’t always the case. She participated in choir in middle school but did not start to expand her participation in the arts until high school. She explained, “I didn’t even realize I would enjoy it so much until I started to do it, and once I did, I really just fell in love with it.”

When Ahmed isn’t at school, she is dancing with the Elements Dance Company, as well as teaching kids how to Bollywood dance. She said, “I get to navigate my hip-hop skills and my singing and acting in the same way, which I don’t get to do as often.”

As Ahmed approaches the end of high school, she is thinking ahead. She wants to study musical theater and has been spending her senior year going to college auditions on the weekends. Ahmed said, “I feel like I never thought I could go through with this, and so it is really exciting to be in that process.”

Ahmed will show off her artistic talents in the Spring Musical, Prom, in the leading role, Emma Nolan. The musical will run from April 18 through the weekend that follows.