Cross Country Blows by the Competition

Cross Country captain Ryan Maged giving his team a speech

The B-CC cross country team began their season with a strong start on Sept. 2nd at Georgetown Prep. The boys secured a commendable 3rd place out of 20 teams, while the girls achieved a solid 5th place.

Junior Caden Felten and Sophomore Van Hicks displayed their prowess, finishing sixth among 40 pairs in the 5-kilometer race. For the girls, Juniors Sophie Harjes and Amelia Manafee led the B-CC team, securing seventh place out of 40 pairs. Senior runner Michael French said, “The meet went exceptionally well, and we earned numerous medals. It’s an excellent way to kick off the season!”

Notably, the Georgetown Prep meet had a unique format. Instead of the usual five-kilometer run for each participant, runners were divided into pairs for a ten-kilometer relay race, where each person ran one kilometer.

Unfortunately, the Barons’ second meet, scheduled for September 6th at Candy Cane, was canceled due to high temperatures. Ryan Maged, Senior runner, said, “We were definitely disappointed in the decision [to cancel the meet].” Frustrated by this decision, Maged expressed concern about how this will mess up the teams training schedule for future meets.

Looking ahead, the B-CC cross country team is eager to maintain their strong start, with their next meet set for Tuesday, September 19th at Red Gate Park.