Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

Two Costly Fumbles and Poor Officiating Hinder the Barons, Dropping Their Opening Game to WJ 21-14

“We won’t let one loss stop this season from being what it can.”
Noah Light

With a powerful defensive showing and a strong run game, the Barons have a lot to look forward to after their first game of the season against the Walter Johnson Wildcats 21-14.  

The Barons began the highly anticipated afternoon with a jolt of energy when Junior Chris Jones delivered the first points of the game, running the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. 

Following that, the Wildcats controlled the game, eventually taking the lead. After two costly fumbles from the Barons, the game became heavily swayed in the visitors’ favor. Regardless of this setback, the Barons scored a touchdown in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter to make it a 21-14 ball game. B-CC then made a critical stop on the Wildcats’ third down to put the game back in their hands with just under 2 minutes left. As the ball was batted up in the air following a pass by Carson Griffey, the Wildcats’ defense intercepted it, ending the game. 

Throughout the entire game, poor officiating by the referees resulted in a one-game suspension for the officials, along with a ruling from Montgomery County stating that they will no longer be allowed to officiate any more B-CC games this season. After a critical interception by Junior Najee Ankoma-Sey that would have set the Barons up with an excellent field position was called off, both teams committed penalties on the play. This should have offset the penalties and upheld the interception, but the referees allowed the Wildcats to keep the ball. This decision went against the rules and allowed them to drive down the field. The referees also incorrectly called Senior Khari Rodgers’ hit as targeting in the second quarter. With Rodgers totaling five tackles to that point, losing him was an incalculable blow to the defense. The suspension that comes with targeting was lifted for Rodgers after the country reviewed the footage. 

On a more positive note, it was clear that the Barons had improved over the offseason, with the addition of Junior Lucas Scribner as a clear top option for the Barons’ offense and defense. The Gonzaga transfer played both sides of the ball, leading the squad in receiving yards along with having an interception and two tackles, not including the touchdown mentioned earlier.

Following the loss, Senior Captain Seth Weaver told The Tattler, “We all really wanted that one. We were pretty upset it didn’t go our way, but it’s behind us now. Everything we’re doing now is focused on Churchill. We won’t let one loss stop this season from being what it can.”

Weaver and the rest of the team are looking forward to next week’s game against Churchill (1-0) away at 6:30. Be there to support the team with the same vibrant energy as last Friday as they look to bounce back against a tough Churchill Squad.