John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

Two Costly Fumbles and Poor Officiating Hinder the Barons, Dropping Their Opening Game to WJ 21-14

“We won’t let one loss stop this season from being what it can.”
Noah Light

With a powerful defensive showing and a strong run game, the Barons have a lot to look forward to after their first game of the season against the Walter Johnson Wildcats 21-14.  

The Barons began the highly anticipated afternoon with a jolt of energy when Junior Chris Jones delivered the first points of the game, running the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. 

Following that, the Wildcats controlled the game, eventually taking the lead. After two costly fumbles from the Barons, the game became heavily swayed in the visitors’ favor. Regardless of this setback, the Barons scored a touchdown in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter to make it a 21-14 ball game. B-CC then made a critical stop on the Wildcats’ third down to put the game back in their hands with just under 2 minutes left. As the ball was batted up in the air following a pass by Carson Griffey, the Wildcats’ defense intercepted it, ending the game. 

Throughout the entire game, poor officiating by the referees resulted in a one-game suspension for the officials, along with a ruling from Montgomery County stating that they will no longer be allowed to officiate any more B-CC games this season. After a critical interception by Junior Najee Ankoma-Sey that would have set the Barons up with an excellent field position was called off, both teams committed penalties on the play. This should have offset the penalties and upheld the interception, but the referees allowed the Wildcats to keep the ball. This decision went against the rules and allowed them to drive down the field. The referees also incorrectly called Senior Khari Rodgers’ hit as targeting in the second quarter. With Rodgers totaling five tackles to that point, losing him was an incalculable blow to the defense. The suspension that comes with targeting was lifted for Rodgers after the country reviewed the footage. 

On a more positive note, it was clear that the Barons had improved over the offseason, with the addition of Junior Lucas Scribner as a clear top option for the Barons’ offense and defense. The Gonzaga transfer played both sides of the ball, leading the squad in receiving yards along with having an interception and two tackles, not including the touchdown mentioned earlier.

Following the loss, Senior Captain Seth Weaver told The Tattler, “We all really wanted that one. We were pretty upset it didn’t go our way, but it’s behind us now. Everything we’re doing now is focused on Churchill. We won’t let one loss stop this season from being what it can.”

Weaver and the rest of the team are looking forward to next week’s game against Churchill (1-0) away at 6:30. Be there to support the team with the same vibrant energy as last Friday as they look to bounce back against a tough Churchill Squad.