Out of the Park

With their two wins this week, the boys baseball team raised their winning percentage above .500 with 9 games left to play. 

David LeCours, Staff

With their two wins this week, the boys baseball team raised their winning percentage above .500 with 9 games left to play. With that momentum the Rons hope to keep rolling against their crosstown rival. 

Starting the week off scorching hot, the boys demolished the visiting Kennedy Cavaliers 37-0 on Tuesday in a shortened 4-inning game. It was a real team affair, with all 21 Barons getting in the game. On the pitching side, Sophomore William Adkinson started the afternoon with two innings of dominant baseball, allowing no runs and striking out six batters. Following his dominance, Junior Matthew Duffy kept the trend going, striking out five and only allowing one hit in two scoreless frames. On the offensive side of the game, the Barons crushed the baseball. The Barons were led by Junior Noah Lite who tallied seven runs batted in, which included a grand slam to right center, and Senior Miles Kessler who had four runs batted in. Says Noah Lite, “The Kennedy game was definitely a good thing for the team. Everyone contributed in some way during the game and after a tough couple of games, I think it was exactly what we needed to bring us back to our best baseball. As of now, we are better than ever and things are just going to go up from here.”

Following the steamroll of Kennedy, the Barons used their offensive momentum to beat a talented Walter Johnson squad. The Barons squeaked out a 3-2 win against the Wildcats on Wednesday following some late game heroics. In the top of the 7th (and final) inning, Sophomore Trent Lopez hit a single, which drove in Junior Adam Niman to give the Barons a 3-2 lead. Not to be over shined through, the pitching in this game was incredible. Starting with four innings only allowing two runs, Junior Bobby Burk kept the WJ bats at bay. He was relieved by sophomore Henry Eichner who threw two innings only allowing one hit and striking out five batters. Then, junior Peirce Tewksbury came in and closed the game with a drama free one, two, three 7th inning. Junior Andy Flynn led the game going 2⁄3 with a single and double. Says Junior captain Jackson Clemmens, “It was a huge win for the team. It was extremely hard fought and every single person contributed. It’s a huge rivalry game and it means a lot to win this year, especially after losing the game against them last year.”