Battlin’ Barons Bocce Finishes the Season Strong

Captained by seniors Mason Leboo and Bailey Seaton, the Bocce team finished with a winning record of 3-2 this year.

David LeCours, Staff

Congratulations B-CC’s Unified Bocce team for a remarkable season! Following an impressive showing to end the season at the county championship, it is easy to look back at what an incredible season it has been for the Barons. Captained by seniors Mason Leboo and Bailey Seaton, the Bocce team finished with a winning record of 3-2 this year. That included tough wins against Whitman, Seneca Valley, and a walk-off win against Walter Johnson.

“I am very proud of our team,” says Junior Adrian Groman.

Throughout the winning season, there have been many fond memories for the Barons. Sophomore Cole Tartal tells his fondest: “My favorite memory was advancing to counties,” an opportunity that the team was incredibly excited for.

The Barons entered the tournament as the first seed. After a dominant win against Wheaton in the first round, the Barons, unfortunately, lost to Poolesville, setting themselves up for a third-place matchup against Quince Orchard. Although they lost that as well, it was clear that they finished the season strong, getting fourth out of the eight teams involved in the MCPS championship.

Emphasizing the “unified” in unified bocce is important, a game that everyone can play. It is an excellent thing for the students of B-CC to have. Though many in the hallways are talking about basketball and football, it is important to recognize the other great athletes in sports you may not have seen or heard as much.

Bocce, for those who haven’t played before, is a game where you attempt to throw your bocce balls closer to the pallino (target) than your opponent. You receive one point every time you toss the bocce ball closest to the jack. Once a team reaches 16 points, they are awarded a game, and the first to two games wins. Often it’s a backyard or beach game, as it’s a great game to play even if you’re not playing at the high school level. If you’re looking for a low-stress and fun sport, the team highly recommends trying it out.

Next winter, be sure to check out the bocce team, be it from the field or the stands.  We wish our Barons luck next year!