John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

D.C.’s Cherry Blossoms Burst into Bloom

Cherry+blossoms+bloom+just+outside+of+B-CC.+
Cherry blossoms bloom just outside of B-CC.

DC’s annual Cherry Blossom Festival has begun and will run through April 14, 2024. However, D.C. may be too far a drive or metro trip for some. Instead, community members can head over to Bethesda’s Kenwood neighborhood, where they can admire the blooming trees with after a quick walk. Senior Anna Bussolo commented, “I usually go to Kenwood, because it’s just kind of more convenient.”

Over a century ago, on Aug. 30, 1909, Japan provided the United States with a gift of friendship by planting approximately 3,000 trees in D.C. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, also known as “Sakura,” carries layered meanings, as it symbolizes both life and death, beauty and violence. B-CC’s neighboring capital D.C. celebrates the Cherry Blossom Festival each year to commemorate the trees’ peak blooming stage. Today, the festival welcomes around 1.5 million people — residents, visitors, family and friends. 

For many seniors, going out to see the Cherry Blossoms has never been as important as it is to them this year. The cherry blossoms only bloom in certain areas of the country, making them a special part of Maryland culture. Senior Daviana Marcus said, “I really want to go out this spring and do something, because I haven’t really gone.” Many seniors want to experience all that the DMV has to offer before leaving for college.

Other, nearer and off-the-beaten-trail options for viewing the blossoms are Dumbarton Oaks and Georgetown. Every year around this time Georgetown is dusted in cherry blossom petals and beautiful decor. Store fronts are covered in seasonal pink flowers, and the waterfront has beautiful picturesque scenes. 

Additionally, as part of the larger festival, D.C. hosts their annual Blossom Kite Festival. This year it is scheduled to take place on March 30, 2024, where many will gather in good weather and good company to fly their kites.

There are many events happening all around D.C throughout the week including: Blossom Blast: An Artful Floral Experience, Union Station in Bloom,  Cherry Blossom Celebration at the National Museum of Asian Art, Sakura Matsuri (a Japanese Street Festival), Mosaic District Art Blooms (a flea market, and art show), and performances at Tidal Basin Welcome Area and Ana Stage.