Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

D.C.’s Cherry Blossoms Burst into Bloom

Cherry+blossoms+bloom+just+outside+of+B-CC.+
Cherry blossoms bloom just outside of B-CC.

DC’s annual Cherry Blossom Festival has begun and will run through April 14, 2024. However, D.C. may be too far a drive or metro trip for some. Instead, community members can head over to Bethesda’s Kenwood neighborhood, where they can admire the blooming trees with after a quick walk. Senior Anna Bussolo commented, “I usually go to Kenwood, because it’s just kind of more convenient.”

Over a century ago, on Aug. 30, 1909, Japan provided the United States with a gift of friendship by planting approximately 3,000 trees in D.C. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, also known as “Sakura,” carries layered meanings, as it symbolizes both life and death, beauty and violence. B-CC’s neighboring capital D.C. celebrates the Cherry Blossom Festival each year to commemorate the trees’ peak blooming stage. Today, the festival welcomes around 1.5 million people — residents, visitors, family and friends. 

For many seniors, going out to see the Cherry Blossoms has never been as important as it is to them this year. The cherry blossoms only bloom in certain areas of the country, making them a special part of Maryland culture. Senior Daviana Marcus said, “I really want to go out this spring and do something, because I haven’t really gone.” Many seniors want to experience all that the DMV has to offer before leaving for college.

Other, nearer and off-the-beaten-trail options for viewing the blossoms are Dumbarton Oaks and Georgetown. Every year around this time Georgetown is dusted in cherry blossom petals and beautiful decor. Store fronts are covered in seasonal pink flowers, and the waterfront has beautiful picturesque scenes. 

Additionally, as part of the larger festival, D.C. hosts their annual Blossom Kite Festival. This year it is scheduled to take place on March 30, 2024, where many will gather in good weather and good company to fly their kites.

There are many events happening all around D.C throughout the week including: Blossom Blast: An Artful Floral Experience, Union Station in Bloom,  Cherry Blossom Celebration at the National Museum of Asian Art, Sakura Matsuri (a Japanese Street Festival), Mosaic District Art Blooms (a flea market, and art show), and performances at Tidal Basin Welcome Area and Ana Stage.