The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

How Are Students Really Feeling About Semester Two?

As of Jan. 30, the B-CC community switched to their second-semester schedules.
Jonny Harron

As of Jan. 30, the B-CC community switched to their second-semester schedules. The Tattler surveyed 245 students across all grades to assess their feelings about the change. The data implied that the vast majority of students feel they aren’t as social or friendly with their new classmates. Only 22% percent of students like their new classmates better, while 35% of students think their new classmates are worse. Whether getting to know new teachers, or attending classes in different subjects with potentially heavier workloads, this big adjustment can substantially affect students and teachers, sometimes negatively. 

B-CC Freshman Amelia Morton complained, “The hardest part of adjusting to the new semester is building new relationships with my teachers, and so far I miss my first semester teachers a lot.” The data reveals that nearly a quarter of B-CC students feel the same way about their second-semester teachers. 24% of students feel that their new teachers are worse than their first semester teachers, although a near identical number (23%) believe that their teachers are better. Over half of students (51%) do not feel that this semester’s teachers are any better or worse.

When looking at the data as a whole on the semester changes, according to the three survey questions, more students had a negative view of their second semester courses than those who felt they were better. The switch in classmates was their primary disappointment. Sophomore Noah Keeley said,” Not knowing a lot of people and having new teachers has made me very stressed about how the new semester is going to go.” While the change has been difficult for some students, others remain hopeful for what the new semester has to hold. Sophomore Jerónimo Castaño stated, “At first it was hard. I didn’t know anyone in my classes but the deeper we get into the semester, the more I’m getting used to my classes, and I’m starting to enjoy them, I have lots of hope for this new semester.”

View Comments (1)