John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You…

These are the movies you need to see during winter break.
The+Landmark+Theatre+on+Bethesda+Row+is+just+one+cinema+screening+the+latest+movies+this+holiday+season.+
The Landmark Theatre on Bethesda Row is just one cinema screening the latest movies this holiday season.

It is currently shivering-cold outside in the winds of a jawingly cold Bethesda winter, and you are on a hunt for an indoor activity. You wish you were in a candy factory, warmed by the sweet and sugary smell of chocolate and lollipops, surrounded by a wonderland of eye-catching colors and endearing sweets. Although the chances of ending up in the warmth of a candy factory are next to zero, what if there was a way you could be transported there in seconds? Good news, there is a way. Whether you want to wind up surrounded by sugar, involved in the 1950s rock n’ roll scene, or stuck in boarding school, these are the movies you need to see during winter break to travel far and wide (while staying warm) in theaters near you.

As we all know, there is one candy land above all others: Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. The original Willy Wonka hit theaters in 1971, but many remakes later, Wonka has been remade with a modern twist and comes out on Dec. 15. Timothee Chalamet will take the screen in the infamous role of Willy Wonka. Hit the concession stand in advance to buy some of Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstoppers to round out the experience.

If that film does not call your name, Jacob Elordi stars in three movies that are currently in theaters: Saltburn, Priscilla, and The Sweet East. Saltburn, an MGM film, is a thriller-comedy, released on Nov. 17. It portrays the story of a young boy trying to fit in with a new family. Priscilla, which explores Priscilla Presley’s life with Elvis Presley came out on Oct. 27, starring Elordi and Caliee Spaeny. The Sweet East was most recently released on Dec. 1st and is both a coming-of-age movie and a satire about American subcultures. The Sweet East follows the story of a girl who experiences a new adventure in her life on her way to Washington D.C. 

If your hands are cold as the temperature continues to drop, put your gloves on and warm up in the ring. The Iron Claw, a wrestling/boxing movie, starring Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White, and Maxwell Jacob Friedman, comes out Dec. 22. This is a historical film set in the 1980s that takes viewers on a journey through the intensely competitive wrestling world. 

Next in the lineup is Teddy’s Christmas, a movie that hit theaters on Dec. 1. It is the perfect film for sending you back to the past to re-experience fond memories of childhood during the holidays, as it features a teddy bear searching for its heart in a small Christmas town. On the contrary, Napoleon might be more your speed, if find educational films entertaining, and enjoy the prospect of being a fly on the wall with the historically powerful. A look at The French Revolution, Napoleon, released on Nov. 22.

However, if the crisp smell of burning firewood in the large halls of a New England Boarding school entices you, The Holdovers, set in the holiday season of 1970-1971 is the movie for you. This movie follows a Scrooge-like school teacher spending his winter break with his students, who have nowhere to go for the holidays. Although it came out in theaters on Oct. 27, this touching film, starring Paul Giamatti, is perfect for holiday fun.

On a cold, snowy day, sometimes going to the movies is the best way to stay warm and entertained. With this spectacular line-up, there is something (and somewhere) for everyone.