The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

The Psychology Behind Trader Joe’s

Why do so many students shop at this grocery store, rather than Giant or Whole Foods? Or decide to apply for a job there? Here is a deep dive into the business model, tactics, and psychology behind the beloved grocery store chain.
Trader+Joes+is+in+everyones+freezer.++
Trader Joe’s is in everyone’s freezer.

The chokehold that Trader Joe’s has on students is so powerful that there is no doubt every single one of them has shopped there at least once since the beginning of the school year. What exactly makes Trader Joe’s so unique? Why do so many students shop at this grocery store rather than Giant or Whole Foods? Or decide to apply for a job there? Here is a deep dive into the business model, tactics, and psychology behind the beloved grocery store chain.

Firstly, Trader Joe’s is pretty sneaky advertising-wise. Surprisingly, they have no coupons, reward cards, online/billboard advertisements, or online delivery service, relying solely on customer word of mouth for business. Their business model is based heavily on investing in user experience (UX), mirrored through their charismatic and down-to-earth employees and their comforting atmosphere. Senior Azaria Daniel, an employee at the location next to The Bethesdian Hotel, commented, “It is such a welcoming workforce. There are employees from many ages, so there are no dull days. I believe we are mostly just expected to make sure the customer feels welcome and leaves happy.” 

According to Nicole Urban (@/urbannic on TikTok), 86% of Trader Joe’s products are sold directly by Trader Joe’s. They carry a tenth of the items that the average supermarket does. As limited as this sounds, their selections and prices are reliable and consistent. Keeping their shoppers hooked with unique seasonable items and limited edition experimental products, a quick grocery run instantly becomes a treasure hunt. What is the probability that you will find those items at another time? Trader Joe’s unique product options lead to impulsive shopping.

Both locations around Bethesda – the one next to the hotel and the one on top of the tiny Target near the Kumon – are high-traffic. Inside the store, the layout is precise and purposeful. The frozen section is more fun and accessible with the open freezer bin layout, allowing customers the freedom to browse more casually, whereas in other stores, the frozen section is limited to aisles of foggy glass doors. Trader Joe’s also invests in the artistic design of the store. From hand-drawn price tags to the colorful painting-adorned walls, this easily tricks customers into thinking they are at a local market rather than a huge supermarket chain.

From a customer’s perspective, being met with too many options is not always beneficial. Having more choices is often paralyzing rather than liberating. Ever heard of the term “choice overload?” This phenomenon is called the paradox of choice, coined by psychologist and author Barry Schwartz. Trader Joe’s has removed this from their stores. According to a Columbia University study, traditional American grocery stores offer an average of 35,000+ options, but Trader Joe’s offers about 3,000. This approach limits the brain fatigue customers experience from choice overload and controls costs. 

Altogether, Trader Joe’s rejects several core business practices of average grocery stores, but they are still doing exceptionally well. Their peak revenue was $13.3 billion in 2022. For a grocery store, they’ve accumulated three million followers on Instagram. Tara Jones, the Trader Joe’s Marketing Director, and Matt Sloan, the Vice President of Product Marketing, host a podcast to let customers in on upcoming and discontinued products and more. Their motto is: “We are committed to providing our customers outstanding value in the form of the best quality products at the best everyday prices.” Bits and pieces of their motto are echoed in their tactics and strategies, leading us to say that their influence on B-CC students will never dissipate.