Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

Montgomery County Crime Rates Spike, But B-CC Trends Differently

Dr. Mooney released to The Tattler a report highlighting the trends of incidents at B-CC from the 2023 school year to now. The report details incidents of a variety of categories, including threats to students, attacks on student, and bullying and harassment.
Montgomery+County+Police+cars+stationed+outside+of+B-CC+
Montgomery County Police cars stationed outside of B-CC

Montgomery County has experienced a significant rise in crime rates for the third consecutive year. including auto thefts, carjackings, robberies, burglaries, and homicides. According to a MoCo360 analysis, auto thefts in the county have spiked 130%, from 1,499 incidents in 2022 to 3,438 incidents in 2023. This same trend can be seen in the increased number of homicides, with a startling rise of 93% of reported homicides since 2019, increasing from 15 in 2019 to 29 in 2023. 

Dr. Mooney released to The Tattler a report highlighting the trends of incidents at B-CC from the 2023 school year to now. The report details incidents of a variety of categories, including threats to students, attacks on student, and bullying and harassment. In the fighting section, incidents have increased by 1% since 2023, whereas bullying and harassment have dropped by 3% and threats to students have decreased by 4%. While the number of incidents in each category varies from year to year, some increasing and some decreasing, there is no clear trendline in B-CC’s data that is consistent with the trend seen in the Montgomery County crime rates. 

However, B-CC has experienced two lockdowns in the 2023 school year and one lockdown during the 2024 school year due to criminal activity in the area, which for some has led to the perception that school is less safe. Sophomore Addison Foist shared, “After the most recent lockdown it made me feel extremely anxious and overwhelmed knowing that there is so much crime around us.” Junior Sasha Ingber added, “After the lockdown, I was uncomfortable being in the neighborhood where the crime took place.”

In response to these safety incidents, B-CC has implemented increased security and safety measures in our schools. In a recent community message sent on Feb. 7, Dr. Mooney announced, “B-CC has been requiring students to present their ID card to enter the building at the beginning of the day and after lunch since the beginning of the year.” This new requirement has allowed students and staff to feel more secure. Freshman Billie Margulis stated, “The new ID policy made me feel more comfortable at school knowing there is more security inside and outside the building.”