John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

College Tracks: Step Towards More Affordable Colleges and College Support

According to College Tracks, 84% of students from under-resourced communities are now able to earn their bachelor’s degrees.
Ms+Guevara%2C+the+B-CC+Program+Director+for+College+Tracks.+
Ms Guevara, the B-CC Program Director for College Tracks.

For 20 years now, College Tracks has been an active part of the B-CC community. It is at five different high schools in Montgomery County but started at B-CC in 2003. Ms. Beatriz Guevara,  Program Director for College Tracks at B-CC, said, “College Tracks started at B-CC, because a few parents in the community noticed that some students needed support throughout the college application process and had no one to work with.”  Now, College Tracks has grown into a nonprofit serving five different public high schools in MCPS.

College Tracks works tirelessly with students from the start of their junior year to the end of their senior year to help them figure out which college fits best and how to cover their expenses. Ms. Guevara said, “Students should join our program during the first semester of their junior year because we start junior workshops after coming back from winter break.”

Moreover, when it comes to student satisfaction, B-CC students working with College Tracks have positive feedback about the program. A common observation is that it has made the process of applying to colleges and scholarships a lot easier. “College Tracks has helped me immensely in my college application process,” said Senior Lamin Diaby. Furthermore, Senior Eason Zhou shared, “College Tracks helps a lot with college essays.” With College Tracks, more students—international students in particular—now feel a sense of belonging and accomplishment during this stressful and overwhelming process. B-CC alumni, Eisa Siddiqi said, “I thought that I was not going to make it to college, but College Tracks made me confident about my college process.”

Students who did not work with the College Tracks, also feel positively about this program. “If I didn’t have my counselor, I would have joined College Tracks,” said Junior Lily Heintz. 

Students who previously struggled with college applications and college essays are in good shape now and all set for college. Similarly, students who would have had to worry about college expenses have access to scholarships and federal aid. According to College Tracks, 84% of students from underserved communities are now poised to earn their bachelor’s degrees.