The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

College Tracks: Step Towards More Affordable Colleges and College Support

According to College Tracks, 84% of students from under-resourced communities are now able to earn their bachelor’s degrees.
Ms+Guevara%2C+the+B-CC+Program+Director+for+College+Tracks.+
Ms Guevara, the B-CC Program Director for College Tracks.

For 20 years now, College Tracks has been an active part of the B-CC community. It is at five different high schools in Montgomery County but started at B-CC in 2003. Ms. Beatriz Guevara,  Program Director for College Tracks at B-CC, said, “College Tracks started at B-CC, because a few parents in the community noticed that some students needed support throughout the college application process and had no one to work with.”  Now, College Tracks has grown into a nonprofit serving five different public high schools in MCPS.

College Tracks works tirelessly with students from the start of their junior year to the end of their senior year to help them figure out which college fits best and how to cover their expenses. Ms. Guevara said, “Students should join our program during the first semester of their junior year because we start junior workshops after coming back from winter break.”

Moreover, when it comes to student satisfaction, B-CC students working with College Tracks have positive feedback about the program. A common observation is that it has made the process of applying to colleges and scholarships a lot easier. “College Tracks has helped me immensely in my college application process,” said Senior Lamin Diaby. Furthermore, Senior Eason Zhou shared, “College Tracks helps a lot with college essays.” With College Tracks, more students—international students in particular—now feel a sense of belonging and accomplishment during this stressful and overwhelming process. B-CC alumni, Eisa Siddiqi said, “I thought that I was not going to make it to college, but College Tracks made me confident about my college process.”

Students who did not work with the College Tracks, also feel positively about this program. “If I didn’t have my counselor, I would have joined College Tracks,” said Junior Lily Heintz. 

Students who previously struggled with college applications and college essays are in good shape now and all set for college. Similarly, students who would have had to worry about college expenses have access to scholarships and federal aid. According to College Tracks, 84% of students from underserved communities are now poised to earn their bachelor’s degrees.