John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

LGBTQ+ Flag Torn Down at Local Church

“I thought this was a generally accepting area, so this incident has made me feel very confused and scared”
Getty_Images
Rainbow flag over blue sky.

On Nov. 7, a flag supporting the LGBTQ+ community was torn down and destroyed at the local Bethesda United Methodist Church. The church security cameras caught the act on tape but could not identify the perpetrator. According to MOCO360, “The church put up the flag banner in June in recognition of Pride Month.”

Senior Emilie Lynch, who is a member of the LGBTQ+ community, said, “I thought this was a generally accepting area, so this incident has made me feel very confused and scared.” Lynch elaborated, “It honestly shocked me and has made me more aware that this kind of hate can exist anywhere.” 

A church in Silver Spring experienced a similar incident last January when an LGBTQ+ pride flag was cut in half. A report made by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) detailed, “From June 2022 to April 2023, ADL tracked at least 356 incidents of anti-LGBTQ+ hate and extremism in the United States.”

Carmen Simon, co-president of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA), said, “There have been rises in hate crimes recently, which to me indicates how we have failed to address the more hidden biases.”

Mr. Favazzo, a B-CC guidance counselor, explained that the B-CC Administration has been responsive when incidents such as these arise.  “They have worked well with students in creating lessons, through student wellbeing or advisory, to educate our student body about how hate can impact their peers,” said Favazzo. 

Simon added, “ I’ve had tons of teachers who ask for pronouns covertly or who work to add LGBT representation into their classes.”

However, Simon also conveyed some frustrations, “When it comes to supporting queer students, B-CC has repeatedly failed to shut down casual homophobia.”  Simon added,  “I’ve seen teachers and staff completely brush [homophobia] off, yet it’s one of the biggest complaints GSA members have had with the school.”

MCPS provides resources for the LGBTQ community if they are struggling. 

24/7 crisis support for LGBTQ youth, 100% confidential and free:

Text “START” to 678-678, Call 1-866-488-7386 or Chat