The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

LGBTQ+ Flag Torn Down at Local Church

“I thought this was a generally accepting area, so this incident has made me feel very confused and scared”
Getty_Images
Rainbow flag over blue sky.

On Nov. 7, a flag supporting the LGBTQ+ community was torn down and destroyed at the local Bethesda United Methodist Church. The church security cameras caught the act on tape but could not identify the perpetrator. According to MOCO360, “The church put up the flag banner in June in recognition of Pride Month.”

Senior Emilie Lynch, who is a member of the LGBTQ+ community, said, “I thought this was a generally accepting area, so this incident has made me feel very confused and scared.” Lynch elaborated, “It honestly shocked me and has made me more aware that this kind of hate can exist anywhere.” 

A church in Silver Spring experienced a similar incident last January when an LGBTQ+ pride flag was cut in half. A report made by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) detailed, “From June 2022 to April 2023, ADL tracked at least 356 incidents of anti-LGBTQ+ hate and extremism in the United States.”

Carmen Simon, co-president of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA), said, “There have been rises in hate crimes recently, which to me indicates how we have failed to address the more hidden biases.”

Mr. Favazzo, a B-CC guidance counselor, explained that the B-CC Administration has been responsive when incidents such as these arise.  “They have worked well with students in creating lessons, through student wellbeing or advisory, to educate our student body about how hate can impact their peers,” said Favazzo. 

Simon added, “ I’ve had tons of teachers who ask for pronouns covertly or who work to add LGBT representation into their classes.”

However, Simon also conveyed some frustrations, “When it comes to supporting queer students, B-CC has repeatedly failed to shut down casual homophobia.”  Simon added,  “I’ve seen teachers and staff completely brush [homophobia] off, yet it’s one of the biggest complaints GSA members have had with the school.”

MCPS provides resources for the LGBTQ community if they are struggling. 

24/7 crisis support for LGBTQ youth, 100% confidential and free:

Text “START” to 678-678, Call 1-866-488-7386 or Chat