The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

Learning to Prioritize

Remind yourself: Next time you push your passions to the side for things that you might feel are more important in the distant future, do not lose sight of what you want to prioritize now.
Prioritize+making+space+in+your+schedule+for+your+interests.+
Prioritize making space in your schedule for your interests.

We all jumped into puddles as children. We put on our little yellow boots and our little crayon-colored raincoats and went jumping into the sea of puddles after the rain. The goal was to make the biggest splash, and we didn’t understand the obligations and burdens that we saw adults carrying around with them. The world was far too big for us to feel anything but curiosity and excitement, and we were not dulled out by it just yet. Its pressure had not caught up to us. Until now, that is. 

As soon as learning to read and taking tests became a priority, jumping into puddles lost its place in the spotlight. Little joys stopped serving a purpose, so the activities that were once the highlights of our day were moved to the bottom of our to-do lists. We still wanted to do them, and we might have even cried, begged, and bargained with our parents for the chance. But eventually, we learned to prioritize other things.

We trudge forward into the unknown, prodded by our parents and teachers, by the thought of failure, or vague societal notions of what we should want. Thus, the shift from pursuing our genuine passions to prioritizing our future successes raises an important question about the essence of our pursuits. Are we running toward a goal defined by others, or creating a path that aligns with what we want?

The desire to excel in structured pursuits shifted our priorities, and as extracurriculars overtook genuine interests, we became accustomed to working toward the end goal. Junior Nizhoni Deschene said, “I see my passion for skateboarding as an art form, and something I could perfect without pressure to be the best or to be better than others.” He continued, “I grew to be more competitive and ambitious, and skateboarding lacked the potential to build a future for me.” In his decision to focus less on skateboarding lies a universal struggle of delicately balancing an uncertain future and personal fulfillment. 

Junior Lawson Bracey aspires to be a neurosurgeon. He said, “I use cooking as a way of distraction from the weight of expectations and the relentless pressure to excel.” His main focus is surgery, and with everything he does, he has the hospital in the back of his mind. Yet, he finds a way to weave in his passion for making food while also focusing on his future goals. He does not pick one thing over the other, yet he integrates them and makes time for both of the things that make him happy.

As we go about our lives, a true priority becomes clear: avoid losing sight of the present. Reveling in laughter has to remain as big a priority as academic success. We should not forget that the pursuit of our future must align with the things that truly make us feel alive. Next time you push your passions to the side for things that you might feel are more important in the distant future, do not lose sight of what you want to prioritize in the now.