The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

A Very Necessary Wellness Center

Emily Atrokhov

All over the world, no matter one’s age, mental health has always been an important part of life. Emotions and thoughts regulate how people behave; regardless of whether they can identify them as the cause. However, recently there has been an uptick in the introduction of this topic to students in the classroom. B-CC is taking steps to drive forward a healthier narrative of self-care and mental health. One part of that story is the new addition to the first floor, the Bridge to Wellness Center. 

This colorful part of the C1 hallway is clad in uplifting messages and provides many different services to all students. It is unclear how many of B-CC’s student body has heard about this opportunity to find resources for their mental health. After being at B-CC for four years, Senior Ethan Brodnax said, “The only time I’ve heard of our school having a psychologist was my second day of senior year.” 

On top of the new wellness center, B-CC has changed its Friday advisory schedule from the 2022-2023 year to a new and improved chunk of time, called Wellness Wednesday. The time is slated for speaking about subjects like positive psychology, mental struggles, and more. 

Not everyone agrees with these changes. Junior Finnian Barry commented, “[Wellness Wednesday] doesn’t do anything for our mental health. So far it hasn’t addressed anything that has been important to me and probably nothing important to anyone else.” He said, “In the past, the administration hasn’t listened well, and I guess they’re trying to get a leg up on the mental health situation because student mental health is more important to individual students now than it used to be.”

Although some have viewed Wellness Wednesday as tedious, it is a substantial change from the material taught last year, which often consisted of Baron Time or watching a new episode of B-CC TV. It was a fun way to spend time during an off period, but using the time to educate students while still at school is to their advantage. 

With more targeted announcements about the changes to B-CC’s mental health plan, more students can access the extensive resources available, which include rental assistance, insurance/benefits, supportive counseling, and more. According to our temporary social worker, Mrs. Swissman, standing in for Mrs. Lindenfeld, students are always welcome to come in for Care Management Services and Mental Health Support Services, brought to our school by the YMCA. Thus far, communication around these initiatives may not have reached many students. 

Many students suffer from not being seen or heard, whether they’re having complications at home, having mental troubles, or both. Next time B-CC administration debates how to spend the school’s available funds, supporting and expanding the horizons on in-school mental health should be first on the list. No one in 2023, including students, should be confused as to where they can receive assistance for mental or housing help, and thankfully, our Bridge to Wellness Center is here to guide us.