The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

MCPS Proposes New Attendance Plan

34,879.5 absences at B-CC in 2022-2023; 25% of B-CC students chronically absent.

On Aug. 22, Montgomery County issued a new action plan to improve school attendance. The proposed plan has two phases. The first phase is to analyze absenteeism data, gather feedback from stakeholders, and develop school-specific attendance plans. The second phase highlights the start of an “attendance promotion campaign” focusing on younger students and their families.

According to Moco360, by the end of last school year, 2,262 out of a pool of 50,500 high school students districtwide were put on attendance improvement plans. Attendance affects success rates in class. “Kids that score lower on the AP exam were chronically absent. My students that were in class were successful, and I was able to build relationships with them,” said AP Biology teacher Ms. Mey. “Being present in class is crucial because if you’re not here, how are you going to experience and learn?” 

According to B-CC attendance secretary Mr. Avila, in the 2022 -2023 school year, there were 34,879.5 absences at B-CC, and 25% of B-CC students were chronically absent, meaning they were absent for more than 10% of the school year.

Junior Luke Burns said, “People skip class a lot, and there is basically no punishment for skipping class.” Although skipping takes place across the county, it has intensified at B-CC. Junior Brielle Anderson said, “Because our school is in downtown Bethesda, it is convenient for students to go anywhere but class. Starbucks or school.”

Grady Petersen, a sophomore at B-CC, questions whether this two phase attendance plan will work. He said, “High schoolers tend to do whatever they want, no matter the rules.”

B-CC administration has made attendance improvement a priority initiative for the year and plans to gather and carefully study attendance data to better inform their responses to absenteeism. Teachers have been asked to contact parents and guardians when students miss three consecutive days of school and to alert counseling and administration if a pattern of absence persists.