John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

MCPS Proposes New Attendance Plan

34,879.5 absences at B-CC in 2022-2023; 25% of B-CC students chronically absent.

On Aug. 22, Montgomery County issued a new action plan to improve school attendance. The proposed plan has two phases. The first phase is to analyze absenteeism data, gather feedback from stakeholders, and develop school-specific attendance plans. The second phase highlights the start of an “attendance promotion campaign” focusing on younger students and their families.

According to Moco360, by the end of last school year, 2,262 out of a pool of 50,500 high school students districtwide were put on attendance improvement plans. Attendance affects success rates in class. “Kids that score lower on the AP exam were chronically absent. My students that were in class were successful, and I was able to build relationships with them,” said AP Biology teacher Ms. Mey. “Being present in class is crucial because if you’re not here, how are you going to experience and learn?” 

According to B-CC attendance secretary Mr. Avila, in the 2022 -2023 school year, there were 34,879.5 absences at B-CC, and 25% of B-CC students were chronically absent, meaning they were absent for more than 10% of the school year.

Junior Luke Burns said, “People skip class a lot, and there is basically no punishment for skipping class.” Although skipping takes place across the county, it has intensified at B-CC. Junior Brielle Anderson said, “Because our school is in downtown Bethesda, it is convenient for students to go anywhere but class. Starbucks or school.”

Grady Petersen, a sophomore at B-CC, questions whether this two phase attendance plan will work. He said, “High schoolers tend to do whatever they want, no matter the rules.”

B-CC administration has made attendance improvement a priority initiative for the year and plans to gather and carefully study attendance data to better inform their responses to absenteeism. Teachers have been asked to contact parents and guardians when students miss three consecutive days of school and to alert counseling and administration if a pattern of absence persists.