New Security Initiatives Throughout MCPS

MCPS released an updated safety plan that includes measures such as the installation of vape detectors in bathrooms, new security cameras, increasing staffing, and the creation of student badges.

MCPS released an updated safety plan that is set to be tested out on five schools in the coming days. The new plan includes measures such as the installation of vape detectors in bathrooms, new security cameras, increasing staffing, and the creation of student badges.

B-CC and MCPS have taken numerous initiatives this year to try to curb concerning student behavior and raise security, but have yet to see the results they were hoping for. “It’s just the times we live in, no matter how many policies, kids are going to be kids,” said Mr. Ray, the head of B-CC’s security team.

“Students always find a way to get around these types of things, if there are detectors in the bathrooms, students will just vape in the hallways or skip class and do it in their cars,” said B-CC sophomore Brielle Anderson, adding, “[MCPS and B-CC] aren’t addressing student safety and root issues like addiction, they are just finding ways to catch and punish students.” B-CC senior Luka Djurkovic had similar feelings, stating, “I don’t think [vape detectors] will have the desired effect…there will just be more consumption of stuff that doesn’t create vapor/smoke like Zyn, edibles, alcohol, and other drugs.”

Countywide, there have been a series of incidents involving substance abuse taking place in school bathrooms this year, and according to the B-CC building service team, behavior in the bathrooms continues to get worse. Recently, the team had to replace all of the soap dispensers in the bathrooms as students were continuously lighting them on fire. “Students don’t care about the conditions of the bathrooms, especially since they aren’t the ones who have to take care of them,” said a building service staff member.

Vape detectors aren’t the only change this plan brings; students countywide will now be required to wear student badges to help staff easily identify students versus unwanted visitors. “This is one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever heard,” said Djurkovic, adding, “No one will wear them and if someone who isn’t a student is planning on causing problems, they’ll find a way to get a badge or make a fake one.”

“I think the most important thing is if you see something say something,” said Mr. Ray, adding, “students helping us out is the only way we can end this.”