B-CC Students Weigh In on Vaping

“[Bathroom] culture is honestly friendly and, even though it sounds bad, you do make a lot of friends and meet new people just because you share that one thing in common: vaping,” said a B-CC student who has asked to remain anonymous.

Vaping has become a staple of the high school experience, especially at B-CC. Many students have either walked into a fruity-scented bathroom or been behind one of the stalls, partaking in the act themselves. Passing electronic nicotine devices back and forth in bathrooms, students socialize with one another.

“It creates an environment to catch up and gossip,” stated an anonymous student, adding, “The illegal aspect makes it more amusing. Like, just turning to someone and saying, ‘Wait, I think I hear keys.’”

While some students vape every day, others have different takes on when they “can” vape and when it is too much. “I only [vape] at parties with my friends,” said an anonymous student, describing how they don’t want to get addicted, so they hold themselves accountable to only hit a vape once in a while for the momentary satisfactory feeling that it gives.

Not everyone has the capacity to be as disciplined. One anonymous student talked about how they started vaping because of peer pressure from their friends: “They told me how cool it was and how it felt good. Then I had a certain feeling like I had to try it. Once I started vaping, I couldn’t stop. Now I’m addicted.” 

Once I started vaping, I couldn’t stop. Now I’m addicted.

While most students don’t think they’re addicted to nicotine, they’re also unwilling to quit because of the side effects that are prone to occur, such as nausea and heightened anxiety. Others can’t find it in themselves to give up the socialization that they access through vaping. When asked if they’d considered quitting, an anonymous student said, “Oh, yes, but I think I’d need a reason. I’d quit if my friend quit with me because she and I do it in the bathroom together and share one, you know.” 

However, some B-CC students have tried to quit. Although some of this population is successful, most have fallen back into their routine of hitting their vape “every 15 to 30 minutes.” Students have different reactions when trying to quit their addiction. Someone who has been addicted for a few years and has not been successful with quitting says, “My mood changes, I’m angry all the time and just can’t stand anything or anyone.” 

I feel accomplished [that I quit]…I thought it would be embarrassing if I was still vaping when I was thirty. So, I thought, why not just [quit] now?

On the other hand, a student who has only vaped for five or six months has a different take on quitting. This student pushed through the beginning process of quitting and has now been nicotine free for a few weeks. “I feel accomplished [that I quit]…I thought it would be embarrassing if I was still vaping when I was thirty. So, I thought, why not just [quit] now?”