The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

Books by B-CC Barons

B-CC has a variety of alumni authors, publishing from a diverse range of genres, and gaining success with said publications. 
The Forever War is just one of the many books authored by a Baron.
Image sourced via Wikipedia

Once it hits February, many people abandon their New Year’s Resolutions, are tired of the energy and effort required to follow through and begin to favor simple activities like scrolling through TikTok and procrastinating their laundry. Temporarily slacking in a resolution is no reason to not start it up again, after all, Chinese New Year is on Feb. 10. 

If your resolution was to read more books (or even write one), this article is for you! B-CC has a variety of alumni authors, publishing from a diverse range of genres. 

Media Specialist, Mr. Brian Baczkowski, said, “We have had some wonderful English teachers at our school. These teachers have taught classes to nurture kids who are interested in being creative writers [and are also just] excellent teachers who spend the time to develop kids’ writing talents.” He continued, “We are also blessed to have people who come from scholarly and writer backgrounds and with this combination of factors, our high school has had a great track record of talented authors and journalists.”

Some of these books are available at the Media Center, while others can be borrowed from the public library, or purchased in stores and online. 

Joe Haldeman, Science Fiction Author, graduated in the late 1960s- 

The Forever War (1974) is a science fiction novel based on Haldeman’s experience in the Vietnam War. He lived through warfare while working as a combat engineer, received a Purple Heart due to the injuries he sustained, and proceeded to write a book about an endless war that would never leave its participants. His experiences shaped Forever War into a deep novel that mixes time travel, war, and humanity. 

Tracy Chevalier, Fiction Author, graduated in 1980- 

Girl with a Pearl Earring (1999) is a modern classic surrounding a 16-year-old girl’s experience with the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer. As a servant in his house, she piqued the interest of her boss, began a relationship with him, and eventually became his muse. 

A.M. Homes, Novel and Short Story Author, graduated in the late 1970s– 

This Book Will Save Your Life (2006) is a novel about a man named Richard who lives alone in his house, trading stocks and staying isolated. One day he wakes up in unimaginable pain and, just like the pit in his stomach, a sinkhole opens up in the middle of his living room. Described as a deeply psychological and emotional story, this novel goes into the struggle of opening up to the world.  

Laura Hillenbrand, Nonfiction Author, graduated mid 1980s-  

Unbroken (2010) describes the experiences of Army Air Force bomber Louis Zamperini during WWII from his time as an Olympic sprinter to the moment he occupied a bomber shot down by the Japanese, surviving, and floating in the middle of the Pacific with no sign of land or survival. 

Matthew Zapruder, Poet, graduated mid 1980s- 

Why Poetry (2017) is a book about the importance of reading poetry and why it can be accessible to all readers. Zapruder reflects that the way schools have taught poetry reading has caused a misunderstanding about how poetry should be read. The book explains what poems are and how they are supposed to be read. 

Love Dunn, Fantasy Author, a current Tattler Staff Member- 

The Lotus Flower Champion (2023) follows Alaia and her family on vacation in Thailand and how Thai mythology comes to life, threatening to swallow the family alive. The main character works to fight off these magical creatures (Are they Gods? Are they even real?), get her family back together, and get home.

Whichever book you pick off the shelf, it’s never too late to add to your book count for 2024.