The Educate to Stop the Hate Act: New State Bill Proposed in Maryland

A new Maryland state bill, The Educate to Stop the Hate Act, proposes a requirement for county school boards to incorporate Holocaust education into U.S. history class curriculums.
Wisconsin state assembly
Holocaust education would be a requirement under the Educate to Stop the Hate Act

A new Maryland state bill, The Educate to Stop the Hate Act, proposes a requirement for county school boards to incorporate Holocaust education into U.S. history class curriculums. Schools that do not comply could lose funding from the state board of education. The bill is sponsored by Senator Ben Kramer, who represents the Aspen Hill area. 

The bill was prompted by a recent rise in antisemitic incidents across school campuses countrywide, such as hateful graffiti including swastika drawings. This rise has been prominent in Montgomery County, as students at Montgomery Blair High School were seen “performing an antisemitic salute” last September. In December 2022, Walt Whitman High School received national attention for a vandalized entrance sign painted with the message, “Jews Not Welcome,” just days after a schoolwide lesson on antisemitism. Over the course of 2022, Montgomery County saw a 261% increase in antisemitic incidents according to the Anti-Defamation League. 

“I think the Educate to Stop the Hate Act is a no brainer,” said Darci Rochkind, Co-president of the Jewish Student Union. She added, “The fact that Holocaust education isn’t required says something in itself. Passing the act would send a clear signal that Maryland is taking the rise of antisemitism seriously and is committed to combating all forms of hate.”

The bill has already passed the Senate, and must receive a favorable vote from the House by the end of the 2024 legislative session to progress. If this occurs, the bill will be eligible to be signed into law by Governor Wes Moore. 

Junior Emmett Lanter shared, “I feel this act is a great idea, especially considering all the violence and hatred we see today. I think this bill will spread awareness and educate students about a terrible time in history and the persecution of millions of people.” Rochkind emphasized, “Jewish students need to feel heard and that their schools care about their safety and wellbeing.”