John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

The Key to Success This Semester

While daydreaming about laying out in the sun with no worries, don’t let your work cause more unnecessary stress.
Katie Dorsey
Unlocking a successful semester depends on taking a few key steps.

Semester two is always the hardest. As we inch closer to summer, students find themselves grappling with fear and anticipation. Whether it is preparing to venture off to college and leaving one’s familiar hometown behind or navigating the complexities of the remaining weeks of the year, this phase demands attention. Add to that the remaining burnout from a challenging previous semester and impending exam stress, and it becomes a lot to handle.

Junior Aliya Hinton, who is in the IB program, swears by her trusty planner. When asked how she deals with procrastination and lack of motivation, “It’s important to have a specific day to do work. For me that’s Sundays.” Procrastination is something many people fall victim to, whether it is everyday or just occasionally, and once one gets into the habit of it, starting things on time becomes increasingly more difficult. When faced with an assignment, commit to at least ten minutes of focused work. Staying on top of a heavy workload will reduce stress tremendously and prevent last minute scrambling.

Navigating senior year can be stressful with all of the college planning required, but for this year’s juniors, getting a head start is vital. Senior Sofia Chalbaud said “Doing your essays and supplementals over the summer is going to save you so much time.” Most students struggle to have much free time with the amount of work they receive. Adding the demands of college applications on top of that can seem nearly impossible. Although everyone prefers summer to be work-free, starting early will pay off later.

Teachers are not here just to teach lectures, they are also helpful resources willing to support. Asking teachers for assistance is key to flourishing in class, as well as taking time to study material each night, or at least two times each week. When asked what she’s doing to prepare for upcoming AP exams, Junior Chloe Cohen said,“I’m planning on studying material from the past.” With AP exams approaching, revisiting material dating back to the beginning of the year will pay off. Regular review keeps concepts fresh and prevents memory gaps. Incorporating these strategies has the potential to result in a higher GPA.

Semester two does not need to be so overwhelming and stressful. Proactive planning, consistent effort, and utilizing available resources are key to thriving through the end of the year.