Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

New Giant Opens in Westbard Square

Westbard Square’s new Giant Food grocery store opened on Jan, 26 after three years of construction.
The+new+giant+at+Westbard+is+now+open+for+business+
The new giant at Westbard is now open for business

Westbard Square’s new Giant Food grocery store opened on Jan, 26 after three years of construction. Regency Centers began constructing Westbard Square in 2021 and recently met their goal to finish the first part of the redevelopment project by 2024. The old Giant closed only 8 hours before the new store opened at 6:00 a.m. the next morning. 

Senior and Giant employee, Tanisha Laudine, has been with the company for six months. She believes the redevelopment of the store has had a positive impact on the company. “Since the reopening, we have been busier than ever,” Laudine said. “When you walk in you can just tell it’s much bigger and much more organized than before.”

Westbard’s new Giant is located on top of a three-story parking lot and includes a newly developed pharmacy, fresh sushi bar, hot bar and kitchen, Starbucks, and a cozy dining area upon entry. Giant has also teamed up with Ledo’s Pizza, offering their fresh and frozen pizzas in the deli section.

Westbard Square is located directly behind B-CC feeder school, Westland Middle School, making it a monumental shopping center among B-CC families and neighboring communities. Senior and Westland alum, Max Veksler, shared his thoughts on the construction. “I have been shopping at Westbard Square my entire life, making it very sentimental to me and my family.” Veksler added, “While I am sad to see the old Giant go, I am also very impressed with how much nicer the new Giant is.”

During opening day, customers filled the aisles. Employees gave out custom water bottles and free samples to show the company’s appreciation for customers’ ongoing support during the renovation process.

Looking ahead, the community can anticipate even more exciting additions during the redevelopment of Westbard Square, including additional shops underneath Giant, new Westwood apartments, and a park in place of the old Giant. The remaining phases of construction are scheduled to conclude by 2027, promising a bright future for this beloved neighborhood hub.