La falta de comprension: Ignorar las necesidades y acomodaciones de los estudiantes

Incluso considerando las acomodaciones adecuadas implementadas para los estudiantes, uno debe preguntarse si estos estudiantes realmente han...

Luana Turcco in action
B-CC Welcomes International Handball Star

Handball, a team sport where two teams of typically seven players use their hands to pass a ball aiming to throw it into the goal on the opposite...

The documentary that exposed the dark side of Nickelodeon
The Dark Truth Behind the TV Screen

As children, we’re prone to laugh at seemingly insignificant jokes, but as we grow older the dark not-so-humorous truth behind said jokes unravels...

B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors
B-CC Decisions: Stressing out Seniors

It’s 8 am on a Monday morning in April and you open Instagram for the first time. Three new college decisions have been released on the B-CC...

Sophomore Koko Jenkin pitching against WJ
Barons Softball Hit Mid Season Struggles

After a dominating win in the Battle of Bethesda, B-CC traveled to Churchill to play a talented Bulldogs squad. The Barons jumped out to an early...

Huge Week for Barons Baseball
Huge Week for Barons Baseball

This week, B-CC Varsity Baseball won two blowout games against Damascus and Churchill, and won a huge game against Walter Johnson. Saturday,...

One size fits all can be a harmful business model
One Size Fits None

“One size fits all,” but does it really? The most logical answer is no. However, companies still label their clothes with this kind of sizing,...

New Giant Opens in Westbard Square

Westbard Square’s new Giant Food grocery store opened on Jan, 26 after three years of construction.
The+new+giant+at+Westbard+is+now+open+for+business+
The new giant at Westbard is now open for business

Westbard Square’s new Giant Food grocery store opened on Jan, 26 after three years of construction. Regency Centers began constructing Westbard Square in 2021 and recently met their goal to finish the first part of the redevelopment project by 2024. The old Giant closed only 8 hours before the new store opened at 6:00 a.m. the next morning. 

Senior and Giant employee, Tanisha Laudine, has been with the company for six months. She believes the redevelopment of the store has had a positive impact on the company. “Since the reopening, we have been busier than ever,” Laudine said. “When you walk in you can just tell it’s much bigger and much more organized than before.”

Westbard’s new Giant is located on top of a three-story parking lot and includes a newly developed pharmacy, fresh sushi bar, hot bar and kitchen, Starbucks, and a cozy dining area upon entry. Giant has also teamed up with Ledo’s Pizza, offering their fresh and frozen pizzas in the deli section.

Westbard Square is located directly behind B-CC feeder school, Westland Middle School, making it a monumental shopping center among B-CC families and neighboring communities. Senior and Westland alum, Max Veksler, shared his thoughts on the construction. “I have been shopping at Westbard Square my entire life, making it very sentimental to me and my family.” Veksler added, “While I am sad to see the old Giant go, I am also very impressed with how much nicer the new Giant is.”

During opening day, customers filled the aisles. Employees gave out custom water bottles and free samples to show the company’s appreciation for customers’ ongoing support during the renovation process.

Looking ahead, the community can anticipate even more exciting additions during the redevelopment of Westbard Square, including additional shops underneath Giant, new Westwood apartments, and a park in place of the old Giant. The remaining phases of construction are scheduled to conclude by 2027, promising a bright future for this beloved neighborhood hub.