The Superbowl was full of surprises
Barons Review the Super Bowl
February 23, 2024

Some say it was rigged. Others argue the game was won fair and square. A few have gone as far as to say that Usher's was the worst Halftime Show...

B-CC wrestlers move to regionals
B-CC Wrestling Takes On The Post Season
February 23, 2024

Twelve members of the B-CC Wrestling team qualified for the Individual Regional Championships after competing in the Individual County Championships...

Sephora Kids have become a menace to retail employees.
Is Social Media Depriving Us of Our Childhood?
February 23, 2024

The pandemic was hard on all of us, and recently, the lasting effects of a year in quarantine are becoming apparent, one of them being the infamous...

Senior Nate Bromberger looks for an opening in a game against Churchill.
Basketball in County Championship Tonight, Feb. 23
February 23, 2024

The top two teams in the county play in the County Championship and this year, both the B-CC Girls and Boys Varsity Basketball teams will compete....

The 2023 B- CC used book sale
Used Book Sale
February 23, 2024

B-CC's PTSA will hold their annual Used Book Sale on March 9 and 10 from 9a.m. to 3p.m. The sale, run by the PTSA, is B-CC’s biggest annual...

Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
Barons Advance to State Quarterfinals
February 23, 2024

Barons Ice Hockey defeated South River High School in the third round of the playoffs on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at the Gardens Ice House. B-CC got...

Color Wheels created during art class by Barons and their buddies
Best Buddies Travel to Stephen Knolls School
February 23, 2024

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the B-CC chapter of Best Buddies made a trip to Silver Spring to hang out and engage in bonding activities with their...

Good or Too Weird? Barons Review Saltburn

Whether you plan to watch the movie or not, just know you’re in for a night of unusual and unforgettable scenes.
Saltburn. the black comedy horror thriller streaming on Amazon
Open Source

The past few months have been remarkably successful for movie theaters, as people of all ages run to get tickets at their nearest theater. Maybe your ticket is for the remake of the 2004 hit Mean Girls directed once again by Tiny Fey. Or, perhaps, a Rom-Com starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell in Anyone But You. The release of Wonka in theaters has made many believe Timothee Chalamet’s embodiment of Willy Wonka is the best yet, bringing to life the magic world of chocolate and Oompa Loompas with his charming personality and performance on the big screen. However, one movie has led some to leave the theater before its conclusion, due to the graphic cinematography. Saltburn, starring Barry Keoghan and Jacob Elordi, has been regarded as one of the most disturbing films of the decade. The film centers on two students: Felix, who is wealthy, and Oliver, who struggles with his home life. Felix invites Oliver into his home after seeing his unfortunate living situation, yet a series of alarming events overtake their everyday routines.

Junior Ani Bailin said, “I had to stop watching halfway through, because it was really weird, and my mom was in the room.”  Bailin also adds how inappropriate the film is for a younger audience. 

B-CC’s Track and Field Assistant Coach, Jim Hage, added, “I haven’t seen the movie and have no interest to, yet I’ve only heard weird feedback and would not advise my children to watch it.” 

Keith Simpkins, a B-CC Senior, chose to watch the film alone after seeing repetitive short clips of reviews on Tiktok. Simpkins said, “The movie is very trippy and ethereal. Going in, I wasn’t expecting it to be that disturbing, but I was completely surprised and honestly uncomfortable. It was a creepy movie.” Simpkins, like Bailin, stressed how he would not watch the movie again and wished he hadn’t at all, advising most individuals under high school age to stay away from it. 

On the other hand, Senior Morgan Kirsch said, “Although the movie is completely disturbing, it is all the same compelling.” She continued, “The cinematography and acting is nothing like I have ever seen in any other film; it’s strikingly beautiful.”

Unlike other B-CC students, Kirsch watched the movie twice, first alone, and for a second time with a group of friends. She remarked on how the second time she watched, she appreciated more of the scenery and directing, as she already knew what disturbing scenes lay ahead. Interestingly, the majority of the underclassmen interviewed were unaware of the movie at all and had no burning desire to watch it. 

Whoever decides to view the film should prepare to see several unusual and unforgettable scenes.