Clothing Drive Underway
Clothing Drive Underway

Starting April 22 through May 3, students are running a clothing drive, sponsored by Ms. Charles. They are collecting both old and new clothing...

Team member throws ball
Mixed Results for Softball

Following a rough week, the B-CC softball team looked to bounce back against the Northwest Jaguars. The Barons traveled to Northwest and jumped...

Senior Hewitt Grissom flies through the air during a track and field meet at B-CC.
Track and Field Succeeds

Girls Track and Field earned exceptional results last Saturday, April 20, at the Trojan Invitational at Gaithersburg High School. Approximately...

The cast of The Prom sings Intolerance Song during a rehearsal before the show.
Spring Musical Takes The Stage

Student performers took to the stage in The Prom on April 18-20. The Prom followed four self-obsessed Broadway actors, who set out to help...

Snowed in
Letter to the Editor: Still Snowed In

Hey. I don’t know if you’re even gonna get this, but I don’t have much power left, and The Tattler didn’t respond to my email. My name...

Girls Lacrosse Nears the End of the Regular Season

The Barons went 2-1 this past week and are looking to close out the season strong as playoffs are right around the corner.  Last Friday,...

Junior Ivy Mcconarty serves against whitman at singles 1.
Girls Tennis Updates

Girls Tennis continued their season this week with matches at home vs Walt Whitman High School and away against Montgomery Blair High School. On...

How to Minimize Negative Stress

With our school year now in full swing, Barons are experiencing negative stress from their workload, but mental strain doesn’t have to be inevitable.
Jonah Peters
Senior Eliza Murphy falls asleep while studying for an AP Chemistry test.

Stress can express itself in multiple forms, whether it be good or bad. Stress is there to keep students motivated and encourage them to learn new things. However, it can also make them exhausted and anxious. With our school year now in full swing, Barons are experiencing negative stress from their workload, but mental strain doesn’t have to be inevitable. B-CC has wrapped up its Wellness Week, and students have participated in activities to better their mental health. While therapy dogs and sidewalk chalk won’t be permanent fixtures at B-CC, here are some things Barons can do during the school year to lighten the burden of your work. 

Most importantly, enroll in courses that meet your personal needs. In a couple of months, students will finalize their choices for the 2024-2025 school year. B-CC’s academic environment is competitive among students, which influences the classes that many decide to take. Guidance counselor Temitope Unonu explained, “Their peers, family, and friends can expect much from them, and because that is all they know, they decide to over-commit.” In theory, these high-level classes may seem like the only way to succeed, but they are not, and can actually be a one-way ticket to burnout. 

Of course, this doesn’t mean that students shouldn’t take difficult classes. They just have to make sure they are not biting off more than they can chew. Junior Fernando Castro who is a part of the IB Diploma program shared, “Though the IB program is really rigorous at times, I find myself being very fascinated with the way I’m learning.” Some students with advanced course loads elect to take Approaches to Learning, or a Resource class, to build in a study hall. Others prioritize electives that allow them to relax and pursue a personal passion. For upperclassmen, an internship, teaching assistant position, or abbreviated schedule can release the pressure.

Even with manageable classes, students still find themselves overwhelmed every now and then. The key to not breaking down from exhaustion is simply to balance one’s time. Everyone is aware that avoiding work will cause it to pile up, which adds to stress. But it also works the other way around. If students overwork themselves, then they will eventually run out of steam. 

That English assignment may seem like the difference between life and death, but students are allowed to take a break. “When I’m tired I stop myself and take time to myself to declutter my mind,” said Junior Leila Burnett when asked about how she practices self-care. Senior Francesca Ryan added, “Make sure to take time for yourself every day. You could listen to music, Facetime your friends, work out, do art, journal, or anything relaxing.” 

If the struggle to keep up persists, students should reach out for help. As scary as may seems, teachers and counselors are there for students and want them to flourish. However, they cannot assist students who don’t communicate their needs. If that seems too intimidating, students can confide in their peers. Burnett said, “I believe the best way to succeed when you are stressed is to have a good support system.” 

Next time Barons find themselves piled with work, they should think about how they can minimize negative stressors and turn them into positives.