John and Jane Parents 1 v. Montgomery County Board of Education: Parents Challenge School Support Plans for Trans Students
June 14, 2024

On May 20, 2024, the Supreme Court of the United States denied a Maryland parents’ petition that challenged school support plans for trans...

Track and Field season comes to an end.
Track and Field: Road to Nationals
June 12, 2024

Though the school year is winding down, Track and Field is not. They attended the MPSSAA 4A Track and Field State Championships from May 21 through...

Lockdowns are becoming increasingly common country-wide.
Life in Lockdown
June 12, 2024

With lockdowns becoming increasingly more common around the country, the chilling reality of these incidents has recently hit close to home for...

Rivalries at BCC.
The Importance of Rivalries
June 11, 2024

For better or for worse, rivalries are a huge part of the game for B-CC athletic teams. Not only do rivalries promote school spirit and motivate...

Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
Pitcher of the Year: Henry Eichner
June 11, 2024

Henry Eichner took home the Division 1 Pitcher of the Year award to cap off an incredible junior season. Eichner led B-CC’s elite pitching...

Varsity Girls Basketball took the court at the State Championship.
A Year in Review of Baron Sports
June 11, 2024

Athletic Director Mr. Krawczel is pleased with the results of the school’s athletes this year. Looking back on 2023-2024, though, he was less...

Check out drive-in movies across the DMV
Coming To a Field Near You...
June 7, 2024

With summer kicking off, students wonder what they should do with their friends. Between pool days and going to museums in DC, a fun and unique...

The Encouragement of the Crowd

The buzz of the excited crowd, the roar, and the cheers that collectively echo through Guckeyson and other stadiums around America are an important part of not only the sporting experience but also the game itself.
Barons show up and show out.

The buzz of the excited crowd, the roar, and the cheers that collectively echo through Guckeyson and other stadiums around America are an important part of not only the sporting experience but also the game itself. A passionate crowd presence can alter the spirits of athletes, encouraging them to play at their best. 

However, the counterpart is equally true – the absence of support, or even hostility of the crowd, can have a significant impact on an athlete’s performance as well. A lack of crowd support can profoundly influence players’ performance, and spirit as athletes. 

One of the most stunning effects of crowd support is its interesting ability to motivate athletes. The energy and enthusiasm of a crowd cheering in support can give players a sense of determination. The feeling of being supported by thousands can give athletes a sense of purpose. Athletes full of adrenaline might find themselves pushing harder or running faster due to this energy.

“When there’s a good turnout, it definitely gets you more hyped up for a game, you’re more into it and you really want to do well. It gives you more adrenaline too,” explained Junior Alicia Robinson, who is on the B-CC Field Hockey team.

The support and expectations placed on players, in addition to the adrenaline from the loud roars, is a key factor in boosting motivation. 

“I definitely think it is encouraging when you are playing to look up into the stands and see a lot of fans. It makes you feel like what you’re doing is important and something to be proud of,” says Senior Seth Weaver, varsity football captain. He continued, “Even though the fans don’t have a direct impact on our play, I think having a big crowd at a home game helps our performance.”

So lesson learned, go support your teams and show your Baron pride!