Hit Bombs, Turn Left, Repeat

David LeCours, Staff

Full of comebacks, highs, lows, and everything in between is how the Barons baseball team spent their season. The boys had a solid year from both the offensive and defensive sides, holding a 3.64 team earned run average and an excellent .382 team on-base percentage.

On the hitting side, sophomore Trent Lopez led the team in batting average and runs batted in, with a .323 average and 11 RBIs on his way to West Region All-Division second-team honors. Joining him on the 2nd team list was junior Pierce Tewksbury and sophomore Henry Eichner, who hurled 30.2 innings of work with a 3.20 ERA. Junior Bobby Burk also had an incredible year, earning west region 1st team honors with a team-leading 38.1 innings pitched, a 3.84 earned run average, and a .309 batting average. 

The boys ended the season with a 12-8 record, which propelled them to an impressive third seed in the West division and slated them against Richard Montgomery in the first round of the playoffs. This year, they became the first boy’s team to win a playoff game with a miraculous come-from-behind victory. The Barons then lost the semifinal game against rival Whitman in a squeaker of a game with a score of 2-1. Bobby Burk completed his incredible season with six innings of two-run baseball and five strikeouts. On the offensive side, Junior Adam Niman was robbed of a potential lead-changing double or better in the top of the fifth when Whitman’s left fielder had a diving play to end the inning. Although the season ended in the loss column, there is much to look forward to next season, with seven juniors and a sophomore on the starting roster this year.

With a strong 2024 class, the Barons look to take a swing at the region and win the state championship next year.