B-CC has Second-Highest Number of Incidents Reported to MCPD in the County

Bennett Galper, News Section Director

B-CC had the second-highest number of incidents reported to the Montgomery County Police Department (MCPD) out of all MCPS high schools according to a memorandum provided to Montgomery County’s Public Safety Committee released on March 20th. In addition to B-CC, Clarksburg High School, Magruder High School, and Northwood High School also had 23 incident reports

According to the memo, there were several reports of assault & battery during this school year. One of these incidents, according to B-CC security guard Mr. James Cunningham, involved individuals who don’t attend B-CC, raising security concerns in the B-CC community. “We don’t want individuals coming into the school who don’t have any business being here,” said Mr. Cunningham. In response to this incident and school shootings across the nation, the school heightened its security measures, locking school entrances and making sure late students were checking in properly.  

“We have to heighten security, making sure everybody who comes in the school should be here,” commented Mr. Cunningham. 

The memo also highlighted the problem of theft at B-CC.  Earlier in the year, students reported that valuables were stolen from their backpacks in the locker room. “There are two gym teachers in the gym office at all times,” said senior Orhan Sabic, adding, “It wouldn’t hurt to have one of them outside of the office keeping an eye out.” Similarly, according to PTSA President Lyric Winik, items that were bought for teachers were stolen from the PTSA. 

However, the statistics across MCPS reveal an overall increase in incidents reported. Police or CEO’s (formerly SRO’s) have made 13 arrests thus far in the 2022-2023 school year, compared to three arrests in the entire 2021-2022 school year. Additionally, the memo states: “MCPS reports that there have been 100 reported bias incidents in the schools this year, up from 65 total for all last school year. In February alone, there were 42 incidents.” 

“I’m disappointed that students can’t really go to school without worrying,” said junior Ryan Foster.

I’m disappointed that students can’t really go to school without worrying,

— Ryan Foster

In the eyes of Mrs. Winik, the memo was “poorly done,” adding, “MCPD needs to provide far more explanation and answers so we know what crime is school-based and what crime is victimizing students where they live.” Mrs. Winik added, “We need to have real safety conversations and to look out for each other.”