B-CC’s Maryland Report Card Scores 5 Stars

“As large of a school as we are, it is important that we continue to utilize every opportunity possible to meet the needs of each student”

Aida Humphries, staff

B-CC achieved a total of 5 out of 5 stars on the annual school report cards released by the Maryland State Department of Education, ranking the school in the 91st percentile of all schools in Maryland. These school ratings serve as a representation of how well each school is meeting the needs of students.

Overall, B-CC earned a grade of 76.1%. “I’m not surprised we ranked so well because I think BCC is a really good school. We are also in a well-off area, so we are expected to do well. Generally speaking though, I am really proud of this school and the students in it for its success,” said sophomore Clara Pinto.

As large of a school as we are, it is important that we continue to utilize every opportunity possible to meet the needs of each student,” said Vice Principal Mr. Goodwin, adding, “Whether it means speaking with a trusted adult in school or at home, a school counselor, teacher, or even an administrator, each student should have someone with whom they can discuss future plans and goals so that a pathway to success to the can be set.”

Schools in the state are graded on five criteria: academic achievement, graduation rate, progress in achieving English language proficiency, readiness for post-secondary success, and school quality and student success.

Out of all the categories, B-CC’s best score was its graduation rate, earning 14.3 points out of 15. While also highlighting strengths, the report card also points out the weaknesses in individual schools. B-CC’s lowest scoring section was English language proficiency, which earned a 4.8 out of 10.